Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Premium
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I've searched but there are so many brake pads threads... :)

Yesterday I bought new pads (front and rear) for my '09 SH Premium Forester Turbo.

I pulled the fronts only to find the new pads are smaller than the originals. Not only in length but also in width. Not only that, they are heavily chamfered which significantly reduces the initial contact area. See pics. I didn't bother checking the rears. I was going to do a wheel rotation at the same time. I''ll get/confirm the correct parts before getting it back into my mate's workshop and onto his hoist. Unfortunately, the Subaru-trained mechanic was away yesterday when I started the job so I couldn't ask him (It's not a Subaru workshop).

Do these look wrong to you? From what I can find on this forum, the SH XT has bigger discs than the NA model and earlier models. Am I right?

Note that the pads I removed don't have the squealer unlike the replacement pads.

I wonder if the pads supplied (for other model Subies) are correct. I assume not.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Premium
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I thought so, too. I'll take them back,

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Premium
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may have to do that. The Suby mechanic said he ordered the right ones. I do wonder if I got pads from a 2009 SG Turbo Forester, not an SH.

I just had a look at the Bendix site and the part nos. on the boxes match that listed by Bendix, i.e., DB1803 and DB1491

Maybe the dealer replaced the pads with non-standard pads during a service and that's why they are bigger.

I'm confused.

@dguggenb My guess is that the car he's talking about has many more miles on it since 2014..
This thread was dead since Lassie was a pup!

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Premium
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just found the workshop manual on line and checked the brake info. The WSM shows the pad as being the chamfered one. So it looks like my car must have been fitted with bigger pads by the dealer on a previous service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts