Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 2009 Forester XT that is in need of some maintenance. The problem that brings me here today is that Auto trans is starting to showing early signs of an issue. It's hard to explain, it's not lurching but rather "thudding" occasionally when the throttle is removed and then re-added. Not an audible thud, but you can feel it in the car. For example, especially when the car is hot, if you are cruising along feathering the throttle, remove your foot from the pedal, and during the transition where the transmission is changing gears as you slow down, if you apply throttle during this time there will be a jerk or a thud/hesitation. The car resumes driving normally. Not all the time, and the force of the thud is not consistent.

Transmission fluid level looks ok however I am embarrassed to say I have never changed it. I have had old GM cars that if you changed the auto trans fluid after neglect, it would cause worse problems.

More info on the car:

2009 Forester XT
112,00 Miles
Timing belt/plugs replaced
Auto trans fluid never changed

I'd like to take your suggestions on the next step to try to fix this. Following the service manual I would think changing some (all?) the trans fluid will be a good start. I have Idemetsu ATF HP on Amazon for $7.50

Here are the directions to replace the trans fluid:

·
Registered
2009 FXT limited
17 Posts
Love to know if you’ve learned anything? Same year and car for me. I get that “thud” when I accelerate from 1st to 2nd but then back off and get that thud. Haven’t changed fluids yet, only had the car for 2 months 156k miles.

·
Super Duper Moderator
2,337 Posts
Stop messing with the TCU. lol

Mine does that every now and again. Typically when accelerating swiftly in 1st, then backing off the GO pedal while the car is trying to shift from 1st to 2nd...

The car doesn't like that. My transmission fluid gets changed per the book...

Change your fluid if you've never changed it. Or if new to you, cannot confirm when it was last changed.

Transmisison will still do it, but your transmission will be happier with new fluids.

C.

- Btw, OP hasn't been on since he registered & posted this thread..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts