Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
09 forester
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious how to interpret this figure in the FSM . How do you measure or judge a fraction of a belt tooth?

·
Registered
2009 Legacy
582 Posts
I've seen that drawing too and it also didn't make much sense to me.
I align the pulley marks and mark the old belt with a silver sharpie. Then compare it to the new belt, put in on the same way. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
961 Posts
When you take a look at the cams, you will see that the marks on the cams dont align with the center of a tooth. The marks on the belts should be similar (not aligned on the tooth center). When I counted teeth on my new belt, it was pretty much spot on the 0.8 teeth and 0.6 teeth. I have heard of some gates belts where the marks were off. You dont need precision of down to 0.1, but as long as you're not off an entire tooth I would think you're fine.

if you havent already seen, I did a short writeup on my belt install on the 2010x.

·
Registered
09 forester
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you take a look at the cams, you will see that the marks on the cams dont align with the center of a tooth. The marks on the belts should be similar (not aligned on the tooth center). When I counted teeth on my new belt, it was pretty much spot on the 0.8 teeth and 0.6 teeth. I have heard of some gates belts where the marks were off. You dont need precision of down to 0.1, but as long as you're not off an entire tooth I would think you're fine.

if you havent already seen, I did a short writeup on my belt install on the 2010x.
thank you, could you post the link to your writeup?

·
Registered
09 forester
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found your post about the belt cover removal. The FSM does show remove the cover for water pump change. Would the Lisle holding tool work, or should I buy the Company 23? 57 ftlb isnt too high to hold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts