Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rebuilt my ej253 after my head gasket failed, after install my engine wouldn't roll over or go out of park. I jumped the starter and checked the fuse and relay... all good. Went back through to check all the connections and grease them and also touched battery terminals to reset the system. The battery is good. I need some help here. The only thing that I can think of is I connected the battery with the engine out earlier to get it out of park to move it. Not sure if that could affect the ecu in anyway. I need some help here.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,922 Posts
@Jscully , please elaborate on "roll-over" not sure what you mean. Are you describing a no-start condition and then engine does not even crank? Or engine starts and runs, but car does not move? (You mention go out of park).

Also please:
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Note that your thread(s) could be closed if your "Public Profile" is not completed!

·
Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
360 Posts
Did you remember the signal/solenoid wire on the starter? Is the immobilizer symbol on the dash flashing at you with the key in any position?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Jscully , please elaborate on "roll-over" not sure what you mean. Are you describing a no-start condition and then engine does not even crank? Or engine starts and runs, but car does not move? (You mention go out of park).

Also please:

Also please:
The engine won't crank when I turn the ignition... only if I jump the starter with the battery. It also won't shift out of park anymore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you remember the signal/solenoid wire on the starter? Is the immobilizer symbol on the dash flashing at you with the key in any position?
The solenoid wire is hooked up. I don't think the immobilizer symbol is on I'll have to check, the security flashes slowly but I think that just means it is activate

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,922 Posts
So it starts and runs with the jump starter? Sounds like a bad battery to me or you have some loose GND wires?

·
Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
360 Posts
What do you mean jump the starter, like bypass they key switch (start position) by connecting the battery + directly to the starter solenoid, while the key is in the ON position? Or just a normal jump start.

I'm not sure on the shift out of park problem, as far as I know that's entirely mechanical. Sometimes the steering lock (activated by rotating the steering wheel with the key out of the ignition) can prevent they key from turning, but if you've been trying to start it with the key that can't be it. I'm assuming you're trying to shift from park with they key in the ON position?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts