Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
281 - 297 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
132 Posts
When the dealer reprogrammed, did the outside temp and MPG display work then? I've just been living with mine off for the last 5 years

·
Registered
2009 forester XT L auto
58 Posts
No, It still does not work. And it also didnt work when the gauge shop stored the FXT data into the WRX gauge.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS
7 Posts
2011 XT
85023SC111 cluster auto trans, w/HID
85261FG010 display unit w/o LCD
85261FG020 display unit w/LCD

Just to clarify these part numbers, which of the multi display units do I need? What's the difference? Realizing that I just set it up for someone to point out that one has an LCD and the other doesn't. Is his just an either or type of situation? I have a 2009 XT base

Thanks

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Premium Automatic 2.5
4 Posts
I have a 2011 subaru forester x premium i want to swap out the ugly blue cluster with a 2012 subaru forester xt touring instrument cluster would it be plug and play or whats needed to do the swap
ive attached an iimage of what the new one looks like.if i have to get extra parts for the install can you tell me which ones i need.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Forester Limited Auto
295 Posts
This modification did not work on my 2009 Forester Limited 4EAT. Odometer works but none of the gauges do. I bought a brand new cluster and sent it to Karman Auto.

edit: Karman is fixing the mistake now (hopefully)

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited AT
314 Posts
Reviving this once again. I've just put a 2010 Impreza GT in my 2010 fxt. It works perfectly, the clock,mpg, and outside temp all work. And since the GT is automatic - it shows what gear you're in. Both the GT and fxt of that year use the same part numbered upper dash display unit.

Only thing I haven't got working yet is the OEM remote start.. hopefully the tech at the dealer figures it out otherwise it's a deal breaker.

·
Premium Member
2009 Forester XT Auto
26 Posts
What is the part number for the 2010 Impreza GT?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
122 Posts
Hey everyone, reviving this thread for some troubleshooting help. I recently installed a touring cluster in my '09 XT. Had the odo and key info moved over by Karman auto & that all turned out great! Unfortunately, it appears as though the cluster I have is from a 2012 model Forester, which means the Check Engine light is stuck on with no code to be cleared. From what I've read on this forum, this is because Subaru apparently changed something related to the CAN Bus in 2012. I'm one of three people I know of with this issue.

Does anyone know of a fix for this? Even a workaround? I saw someone lifted a leg of the CEL LED & made a home run to the proper wire in the plug. If this is a legit long-term solution, I'd love some detail on how to do it. Also, is the CEL the only part of the cluster function that's affected? Are there any MILs that will no longer turn on due to the CAN change?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
24 Posts
I am still battling on finding a solution as well.

Hey everyone, reviving this thread for some troubleshooting help. I recently installed a touring cluster in my '09 XT. Had the odo and key info moved over by Karman auto & that all turned out great! Unfortunately, it appears as though the cluster I have is from a 2012 model Forester, which means the Check Engine light is stuck on with no code to be cleared. From what I've read on this forum, this is because Subaru apparently changed something related to the CAN Bus in 2012. I'm one of three people I know of with this issue.
View attachment 549729
Does anyone know of a fix for this? Even a workaround? I saw someone lifted a leg of the CEL LED & made a home run to the proper wire in the plug. If this is a legit long-term solution, I'd love some detail on how to do it. Also, is the CEL the only part of the cluster function that's affected? Are there any MILs that will no longer turn on due to the CAN change?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2009 FXT limited 4eat
12 Posts
I have done it!

Changed my original (booring) instrument cluster to newer 2011+ SH forester.
This involves reading memory from both clusters and swapping immobiliser (not necessary if you have pushbutton start) and odometer reading.
Immo can be programmed by dealer, not sure about odometer...

From there it is plug and play and you can enjoy coolant temp gauge, economy meter and your trip computer now shows distance remaining from tank, average and momentary consumption. And of course - red arrows that light up when door is opened :smile2:

There might be a problem with trip computer, because older models did not support dist.remaining display, so that might need to be changed. My car is 2010 and everything worked straight away.

Pictures ar my old and new dash.
Did your CEL stay on after the swap? I'm swapping out my blue 09 cluster with a newer red cluster with the same design. I've seen others mention the CEL but it doesn't seem anyone knows if it could be pin location or data related. It would suck to spend money getting the immobilizer programmed, to find out the cel won't work properly.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,886 Posts
@Omgawdz note that @DieselForry last signed onto the forum 4 years ago. You could send the member a PM - Private Message... now called a "conversation" on this new site. The member is optioned to receive an e-mail notification, so you could receive a reply to your question.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6sp Manual
165 Posts
Did your CEL stay on after the swap? I'm swapping out my blue 09 cluster with a newer red cluster with the same design. I've seen others mention the CEL but it doesn't seem anyone knows if it could be pin location or data related. It would suck to spend money getting the immobilizer programmed, to find out the cel won't work properly.
Mine is a diesel, if that changes anything, but to answer your question, no, my CEL functions normal just like all other lights on the dash, apart from immobilizer and odo swap, it was a plug n play for me
Looking at wiring diagram for blue cluster, malfunction indicator light is controlled from ECM on pin 38 on cluster harness for both, diesel and gasoline models. I don't have red cluster diagrams in hand right now. I know lot of russians are doing this swap, but I haven't seen anyone had problems with CEL, they had charge light issues, where it would stay half dim. Maybe there are differences between USDM and EDM models...

·
Registered
2009 FXT limited 4eat
12 Posts
@DieselForry Thanks for the reply. It's weird we are still trying to figured this out, several years later. I couldn't find anything on nasioc either, which is odd. Have a great weekend!

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Limited
58 Posts
The reason for the CEL is that the polarity of the CEL signal was reversed between the 2011 and 2012 model years. 2012-2013 clusters will not function properly in a 2009-2011 vehicle and vice versa without modification.

Sounds like the cluster you are installing came from a 2012 or 2013 model.

The check engine light is controlled by a dedicated wire. It has nothing to do with the CAN network on this generation. You could wire up a relay to reverse the polarity, or you could modify the cluster to connect the LED straight to the CEL pin instead of through the inverting circuit. This modification is quite tricky to start with, and normally would require moving the meter faces, which also means removing the needles.

·
Registered
2009 FXT limited 4eat
12 Posts
My
@DieselForry Thanks for the reply. It's weird we are still trying to figured this out, several years later. I couldn't find anything on nasioc either, which is odd. Have a great weekend!
The reason for the CEL is that the polarity of the CEL signal was reversed between the 2011 and 2012 model years. 2012-2013 clusters will not function properly in a 2009-2011 vehicle and vice versa without modification.

Sounds like the cluster you are installing came from a 2012 or 2013 model.

The check engine light is controlled by a dedicated wire. It has nothing to do with the CAN network on this generation. You could wire up a relay to reverse the polarity, or you could modify the cluster to connect the LED straight to the CEL pin instead of through the inverting circuit. This modification is quite tricky to start with, and normally would require moving the meter faces, which also means removing the needles.
Yes, mine is a 12 cluster according to the seller, thanks for the heads up. 👍 I will reconfigure it if it's necessary.

It's definitely tougher finding information on these foresters than with impreza models. There aren't any local salvage yards with subaru or I could verify pinouts, etc. Still haven't found a local locksmith willing to program my key to the new cluster. May have to take a trip to a dealer in Houston when the cluster mileages match

281 - 297 of 297 Posts