Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
261 - 280 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 5MT Wrx Swap
149 Posts
Big question anyone do a wrx cluster swap and have issues with the CEL? We just put a 2012 cluster in my 2010xt and the CEL but the ECU Is not sending the CEL to the cluster.

·
Registered
2009 2010 X Touring 4EAT
410 Posts
The Display Unit on the dash, and the gauge cluster are a "pair".. you need the right part numbers to have them talk.
The base for economy is stored in the cluster; metric speedometer = l/100km. Avg. economy/trip are stored in the cluster. External temp. is sent by the cluster.
You'll need SSM to program the immobilizer, this will mate the cluster to the car as part of the immobilizer is inside the cluster. Dont mate it and the car wont even attempt to crank.. If you have an iDatalink powered remote starter bypass, you'll need to replace the ADS and re-KLON as the immobilizer code will have changed.
You can mate a later model cluster but as-per token's post, CEL will stay on. Further, I found you'll also lose the oil pressure warning lamp.
My dealer couldnt alter the ODO on the new cluster? I did ask.. but I guess I have 20,000km instead of 126,000km on her now ;)

$45 Gauges 85041FG080
$30 DU 85261FG040
$126 Immob. Coding

Here's a list of cluster & DU part numbers, 'cos I'm sure everyone wants this modification now:

2009 XT
85021SC370 Cluster
85201FG012 Display unit

2008 STI
85022FG121 Cluster STi
85201FG020 Display unit w/STi

2009 GT (automatic turbo impreza)
85023FG170 Cluster 25GT
85201FG012 Display unit w/o STi

2011 STI
85033FG660 Cluster STi
66208FG010 Display unit

2011 XT
85023SC111 cluster auto trans, w/HID
85261FG010 display unit w/o LCD
85261FG020 display unit w/LCD

2013 STI
85072FG050 CLUSTER
85261FG040 Display unit

·
Registered
2009 forester 5sp manual
9 Posts
Ok Guys Im not sure if this helps especially since it is not in english but I found someone online that posted a write up hope he doesn't mind me sharing it.

https://www.drive.net/l/3767153/

I am very interested in this mod however im still not sure how to do it so I will hold off for now, Especially since my home subaru dealer in Costa Rica is not particularly friendly to this kinds of mods. I will continue to investigate the options and write ups perhaps Ill be brave enough in the future.

Good days friends.

·
Registered
2011 wrx 5 speed
2 Posts
swapping cluster

Hey everyone Im planning to swapping a 08 sti cluster into my 2011 wrx. I just wanted to confirm what I need to do(tell the dealership to do).
1. Swap cluster
2. Have the dealership reprogram my keys to match the sti cluster.

Is that all they need to do?

·
Registered
2011 wrx 5 speed
2 Posts
Also will the dealer have to do anything with the immobilizer inside the cluster or will that be reprogrammed once the keys are programmed?

·
Registered
2013 Forester Automatic
26 Posts
I have a 2013. I got a Touring cluster with 18k on eBay for $90. There is a local place here that. Can program the mileage on the new cluster and keys for $150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
112 Posts
I bought an Impreza cluster to take apart and inspect. For 21 bucks shipped I am not out much so if it doesn't work out how I am envisioning it I won't be too upset.

·
Registered
2013 Forester Automatic
26 Posts
Has anyone installed a used touring cluster? My dealer said that they will try programming it... But they said that because it was in another forester they might need to send it to Subaru to have it cleared because of a vin number being stored in it... They are not sure if they will have to do that or not... Anyone have any experience with this issues? I'm going in tomorrow to try the programming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
112 Posts
Alright so I did a thing ...

Because I got frustrated looking for a 2009 Impreza GT cluster I bought this, a 2008 Impreza 2.5i cluster. I only want the faceplate from it, maybe needles but they also look orange so I'm kinda bummed about that but its not that big of a deal ... I don't think ... anyways it was much easier than I thought to take this apart. The tough part is going to be getting up the courage to pry apart my working cluster in my car. End result I had in mind is all white numbers and red-ish needles.

It has all the same warning and misc. lights as my 09 FXT sans the "SPORT" light which I can live without and the headlight indicator light. Again, I can live without.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 6MT
1 Posts
Has anyone been able to transplant a cluster from an AT/CVT into a MT vehicle? I have done a cluster swap on a 2014 Outback Premium MT... put in a cluster from an Outback Limited non-Eyesight (which are only available with CVT or AT). Everything works perfectly other than it won't display the gear I am in, which was expected and is not an issue for me, and I have a VDC light on despite the system working properly and no DTCs being triggered. I was curious if any of you had any similar issues or knowledge about something like this. All the wiring, pinouts, part numbers, etc are a dead match between the two vehicles... it's got me stumped.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Limited
99 Posts
My Key Guy.....

Hey everyone Im planning to swapping a 08 sti cluster into my 2011 wrx. I just wanted to confirm what I need to do(tell the dealership to do).
1. Swap cluster
2. Have the dealership reprogram my keys to match the sti cluster.

Is that all they need to do?

My key guy just used his key programmer to "match" my key to the immobilizer in the new cluster. Think of it like programming a key to a cluster - but it's a different cluster... Easy peezy. 5 minutes, 30 bucks. Two keys for the new cluster, and I still have the old cluster and 2 keys for that too. I can swap as I want when I want and have a spare key..

G

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6sp Manual
165 Posts
I have done it!

Changed my original (booring) instrument cluster to newer 2011+ SH forester.
This involves reading memory from both clusters and swapping immobiliser (not necessary if you have pushbutton start) and odometer reading.
Immo can be programmed by dealer, not sure about odometer...

From there it is plug and play and you can enjoy coolant temp gauge, economy meter and your trip computer now shows distance remaining from tank, average and momentary consumption. And of course - red arrows that light up when door is opened :smile2:

There might be a problem with trip computer, because older models did not support dist.remaining display, so that might need to be changed. My car is 2010 and everything worked straight away.

Pictures ar my old and new dash.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 forester XT L auto
58 Posts
Swapped a 09 WRX cluster in my 09 FXT. All gauges work as they should except for the outside temp and MPG average in the center dash, which doesnt bother me. I had the mileage matched by a local gauge shop. They tried to copy the data from the FXT gauge to the WRX so the keys would work, but for some reason the temp gauge was not working. Everything else worked and the foz would turn on no problem. So they just went back and reloaded the original data into both, matched the mileage, then went to the dealer for key programming. Only one of the 2 local dealers to me was able to program the keys. The other dealer didnt wanna touch it. So not all dealers would do this. You have to keep looking til you get lucky or can convince them to do it.

261 - 280 of 297 Posts