Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5 XT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just bought an '09 4EAT with 70K miles, really sweet car. However, the first thing I noticed after buying the car is that there's a humming airplane like sound in the cabin when cruising over 20mph. Like the white sound inside a cruising airplane (that's the most similar description I can think of). Here are some facts to consider:

- Left front wheel has a broken stud.
- Front diff fluid was bone dry. Not that I found any grinded metal in the disptick but the remaining oil was burnt. Filled it up with fresh oil but the airplane sound was exactly the same.
- The sound intensifies when turning right at speeds above 30mph
- Today I jacked the car up and the sound is absolutely coming from the left front wheel assembly. Also the offending left front wheel turns at a different speed from the other ones. Here´s a video:

Actually paste this code after youtube.com/

watch?v=QYPiMUUxl7M

(I cannot submit links yet)

What do you think? Wheel bearing? axle? Front diff? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester 5 Speed Manual
36 Posts
The video is unavailable but if you say that one wheel turns faster than the other it could be the front diff although it could also be some added resistance on the wheel that turns slower and thus making the open diff send more motion on the path of less resistance. So if you say that the sound comes from one side, it could be the wheel bearing or the axle, just don’t go changing something you don’t need until you’ve checked everything :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5 XT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I will change the broken stud tomorrow and have my mechanic check the axle/bearing. Yeah the resistance of the left wheel is at idle, when revved it turns the same as the other wheels.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5 XT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fixed!

The issue is now fixed by replacing the hub/bearing housing and solved the broken stud problem killing 2 birds in one shot.

Replacement part number is 28373FG000, total cost $180. $160 in parts and $20 in labor (labor is cheap in Costa Rica)

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts