Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I will be moving soon from Alabama to Connecticut. The trip is over 1000 miles and I need to replace my tires before the trip. There are so many tires out there!!! I want a good
tire that's good for a Forester. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester premium
406 Posts
if I were moving to the north east id get the Michelin crossclimate as a more "road" tire or the Falken Wildpeak A/T as a more aggressive A/T tire thats more dirt road than off road BUT has more off road chops than a all season

·
Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
602 Posts
The General Altimax RT43 has a lot of fans here on the forum. Good quality and traction and they last a long time, but also not insanely expensive.

I have the Continental TrueContact Tour on my '17. Great tires, but also a bit more expensive. If you were moving further north in New England I'd go with the Michelin CrossClimate. They're a true 3-Peak rated snow tire (ie legal where snow tires are required by law) but they're also great on wet and dry pavement year-round. They're not cheap!

Reactions: Syphers47

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
20,400 Posts
Welcome! Subaru, the official car of New England!

Hankook has been a good combination of cost and New England suitability.

·
Super Moderator
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
3,658 Posts
You'll find many tire threads if you do a site search. That being said a reasonably priced tire that is recommended by Consumer Reports and some members of this forum is the General Altimax RT-43.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
5,082 Posts
^^^^^ What @ForesterBill said. I have the R-43 on my 2001 Forester. It's not expensive and works well for general daily driver. But I live in TX, where it's hot and semi-dry. It works well in the rain and does not hydro-plane. Will it work in snow? I have no idea. Will it work off-roading, I have no idea. Will it work for hard corner, ie track-day? Not likely. How long will the tires last, no idea only have about 20,000 miles on the tires at this point.

·
Super Moderator
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
3,658 Posts
General also has an all-weather tire called the Altimax 365 AW. In Consumer Reports' road tests it scored excellent in snow traction and ice braking and has the 3PMSF designation for those Connecticut winters::
Rectangle Line Software Font Parallel

Rectangle Font Circle Brand Number

Reactions: Natedog

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester premium
406 Posts
I do 100% get it but one thing ive found through the years..sometimes you can find deals on certain tires and a few are close but Tires and Footwear are 2 things ive learned not to skimp on anymore. been there done that never got satisfied good results from skimping on either

·
Registered
2009 Forester
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if I were moving to the north east id get the Michelin crossclimate as a more "road" tire or the Falken Wildpeak A/T as a more aggressive A/T tire thats more dirt road than off road BUT has more off road chops than a all season
Thanks
@smokinjoe814_3738 "I want a good tire that's good for a Forester". Define good? Good in Winter, Good in Rain, Good for off-roading, Quiet? tire wear? What do you want?
Ummm.....All of what you mentioned.....But if I had to pick just a couple, 1) Good road driving and not noisy 2) Really good driving through snow 3) Long lasting. Thanks ahead of time for
any suggestions.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 2.5X
1,171 Posts
On my 2012 just mounted up set of five General Grabber ATX 215/70r16 on factory 16" alloys (about one inch taller than stock) $149 per tire at America's tire. They also come in slightly smaller stock sizes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts