Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm replacing my valve cover gaskets on my 2009 forester, There isn't enough clearance to remover the covers, do I need to loosen or remove the motor mounts? I read some info on this blog, removing the motor mount bolts, and a "pitch stop" what is that and where is it?

·
Registered
2000 forester auto
713 Posts
I didn't have to loosen the engine mounts on my 2000 to do the valve covers, but it was close. If you do need to, the pitch stop(or dog bone) is at the the top of your engine(actually the transmission bell housing where it connects to the engine) at the far back of the engine bay under the throttle body. It's connected to the fire wall and the the bell housing, it's sometimes called the upper transaxle brace. On the engine mount, there is a bolt/stud that goes from the bottom of the engine mount on each side, through the engine cross brace. There are two nuts, that need to be removed, for the studs that can be seen from the bottom if you are lying on the ground looking up near the exhaust manifolds. In order to get the engine to move sideways you will probable need to drop the exhaust manifold because you will need to jack up/raise the engine enough to get the studs to slide out of there holes in the cross brace. Then just push the engine side ways and your good. Careful when you jack/raise the engine up, watch the radiator hoses and vacuum hoses.

·
Registered
2010 2.5L SOHC Forester Manual
1 Posts
Just saying thanks @Quadrozontal and reporting this job for a 2010 2.5 SOHC: just did all the above, and in retrospect wish I had gone for the tilt one side and pull away from the unibody method. I was able to lift the very front of the engine about 6 inches, then was stopped by the coolant line pulling too tight. (Also broke the RH grounding strap bc I forgot about it). Without undoing the transmission mount it did not provide enough clearance for the bottom rear cover corner, driver or passenger side. Thus had to ratchet the engine over to the other side anyway. Found a gimbal socket adapter, a 3' cheater bar, and 6"extention especially helpful. Used the gasket kit from beck arnley, spark plug tube gaskets are 1/4" too "tall", but the cover gaskets fit great. Does come with the bolt seals. Which were not needed for this engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts