Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
09 Forester AT
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first time poster, long time reader, big ups to all the help this forum provides! I'm in insurance sales by day and a backyard mechanic in my time off and was able to replace most of my AC components a few summer's ago using this forum (and Youtube) and still getting cold air saving me $$$$ from what the mechanic would have charged!

Anyway, even though I have found ton's of info on valve adjustment, I'm still a little confused....

Can someone post the procedure for an 09 or similar forester?

Specifically, I don't understand the order of valves to adjust. So I believe one starts with the passenger side cam with arrow at 12 O'clock, then do the intake and exhaust valves for cylinder 1, then turn 90 degrees, then do cylinder 3 ?? or do you move to the other side to cylinder 2? I know the firing order is 1,3,2,4, but do you just work off of one cam and side at a time?? If so, would I turn 180 degrees (instead of 90) and then do cylinder 3 then move to other side? Sorry if these are stupid questions, but if someone that actually knows what they are talking about (cuz I don't) could chime in, I'd like to avoid bending and burning valves or whatever happens if I eff this up.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd be much obliged.馃槑

Also I believe clearances are .006 to .010 inch for intake, and .008 to .012 inch for exhaust for 2.5L SOHC per my Haynes manual, I don't have the funds to get into the Subaru service manual, so let me know if that's not right.

Backstory on this....

I had the seeping head gasket prob, so I replaced the gaskets with Fel-PRO MLS and all the other gaskets I could get to, cam seals and whatnot. I replaced the water pump, timing belt, idlers, pulleys, etc. Got everything back together but the engine is running so rough, I didn't actually drive the vehicle. I checked with the machine shop, and they confirmed they adjusted the valves (stupid me for not verifying before installing!!), but they said they may need adjusting again after installing the heads and running the engine to temp. I could barely get the car started, but once if fired up it would keep dying unless I gave it gas. I can hear ticking from the driver's side cam and the engine just doesn't sound like it should. So even though I'm in insurance and not mechanics, I feel like I've done everything right and that I'm missing something obvious and believe it's just timing/valve adjustment that will hopefully correct it.

Registered
2016 Crosstrek Premium
Hmmm,I never had any reason to look into it but don't these engines use hydraulic valve adjusters and thus don't need adjusting?Way back when,my moms '80 Corolla,which had solid lifters,needed the valve lash adjusted.One was so loose that the push rod popped out from under the rocker arm and was bouncing off the valve cover with the engine running.Even with one valve not opening,it still started right up and ran surprisingly well.Are you the one who installed the heads and with it,the timing belt?It sounds like the drivers side cam is out of time.That would explain why it was making noise,so hard to start,didn't want to stay running and ran like crap when it did run.That ticking may be the piston hitting the out of time valves.If the cam timing is off then you better pray to the car gods that you didn't damage a valve or 4.

Registered
2010 Forester
Valve lash is adjustable. I do not know the procedure, I had my heads reworked at a shop while I had my head gaskets replaced.

Registered
09 Forester AT
Discussion Starter #4
@MarioAndretti
Hmmmmm, before i take the valve covers off to do any adjusting, I'll check the timing marks, but no, I don't think this has hydraulic valve adjusters.

Registered
2016 Crosstrek Premium
Ok,I just checked and yes,the valves do need to be adjusted.I just find it odd that the adjustment could be so far out as to cause the issues you describe.I also find it unlikely that whoever assembled the heads would have gotten one side so close and maybe even perfect and the other is so far out of whack.

Registered
09 Forester AT
Discussion Starter #6
Got to work on this again today, timing marks were spot on, so took the valve covers off and made my adjustments. I hope I figured out the order! I adjusted cylinder 1 valves with cam at 12 o'clock, then cylinder 3 with cam at 3 o'clock, cylinder 2 at 6 o'clock, and 4 at 9. Hope that's right! Cylinder 4's valves were perty loose, so hopefully that is the issue. I still need to put the alternator and compressor belts on and will try to start it tomorrow.... stay tuned haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts