Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Honda Accord Automatic
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, I apologize if this needs to be moved to a different thread or has been covered before. I recently lost both sets of my keys to my 09 Forester. I've ordered a new key from the dealership and they scheduled me an appointment to have them programmed. They said the charge will be $140 (in addition to $160 key). I did not order a new fob, just the key. Is there any way to program the key myself rather than paying the dealer this much money (for a job they anticipate will take 1 hour)?

Thanks alot,

Brennan

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,942 Posts
@BWalters quick answer, no. You can program in new remote fobs yourself, but not new chipped keys (immobilizer security). The dealership or high end lock shops will have to program new chipped keys to your Forester. :frown:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2000 Honda Accord Automatic
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, just confirming before I spent 150 bucks (on an hour of labor!?). At least i didn't have an even newer car, apparently they would've had to replace the whole computer. I miss my 98 Forester when I could go spend $16 bucks at the dealership for a new key.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,942 Posts
If you bought the keys from a dealership, some will program them for free or at a discounted price. Especially if you frequent the dealership for vehicle maintenance.

Check around with your local locksmiths to see if they can do the programing for less.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

Reactions: Miker104

·
Registered
2008 Outback XT
12 Posts
Check around with your local locksmiths to see if they can do the programing for less.
+1 to this...

You can buy keys online, or from a sophisticated locksmith, and then have the locksmith program them.

We did this for my wife's '09 Outback last year, and the locksmith cost a fraction of what the stealership wanted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts