Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2009 forester diesel with an under seat subwoofer. I bought this car second hand and it have an aftermarket head unit ( Flyaudio 7032navi). It sounds great but at high volume it starts to cripple. Now i knew i have an subwoofer under the seat, but nothing came out of it. The wire is connected into the subwoofer but there is a loose cable ( 8 pin )in the back of head unit with another cable what seems like a ground wire right aside it. The radio have 1 cable labeled subwoofer, but there is no place to plug the 8 pin. I measured with multimeter the subwoofer 6 pin input. It have power, and i dont't knwo what the rest of 4 pins are. I belive it is the + and - from left-front and right-frint speakers. If it is as i assumed, it possible to dirreclty wire the left and right front speakers to the subwoofer and work? Because the power pins indeed are connected idk how.

The upper 2 pins are ground and 12v and idk what the 4 pins down are.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,513 Posts
Your stock head unit i'm sure would have had an Amplifier built in to run the sub. Unless the under seat sub is active. I'm only guessing it's passive and would need an amp to power it.

I've a mate with a BMW who's had the same problem until I suggested he needed an amp after installing an aftermarket HU; to power the built in under seat subs. It's all good now but took a bit of trial and error to work out which pins went where. I nearly ripped it all out and fitted a proper Alpine amp and 12" sub. :devilish:

Your also probably correct in saying the 4 lower pins are audio signals. Maybe you could make up an RCA to connect those 4 pins to your HU sub out? Only if it's active.
You may also need a crossover to filter out the treble and mid frequencies if it's run via the front speakers (they maybe inline already though) if it's passive but then you may still need an amp.

I'm also guessing the 8 pin connector would be for maybe an auxiliary device like a TV tuner or disc changer.

I'm sure Kenwood do an under seat active sub for about £125 and a lot less of a headache!

Or do the proper thing as I've done bellow ...I've still to find a decent place for my amp but it'll do there for now.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,694 Posts
I have assumed it is a LHD Euro Diesel originally with Audio rather than Navi .

OEM Audio wiring diagrams which give you some ideas on the disconnected plugs.

You should also have an aux input terminal in the centre console cubby between the seats

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi. I have a 2009 forester diesel with an under seat subwoofer. I bought this car second hand and it have an aftermarket head unit ( Flyaudio 7032navi). It sounds great but at high volume it starts to cripple. Now i knew i have an subwoofer under the seat, but nothing came out of it. The wire is connected into the subwoofer but there is a loose cable ( 8 pin )in the back of head unit with another cable what seems like a ground wire right aside it. The radio have 1 cable labeled subwoofer, but there is no place to plug the 8 pin. I measured with multimeter the subwoofer 6 pin input. It have power, and i dont't knwo what the rest of 4 pins are. I belive it is the + and - from left-front and right-frint speakers. If it is as i assumed, it possible to dirreclty wire the left and right front speakers to the subwoofer and work? Because the power pins indeed are connected idk how. View attachment 524076 View attachment 524077 View attachment 524078
The upper 2 pins are ground and 12v and idk what the 4 pins down are.
I think is an active subwoofer. I unscrewed the unit and i saw a substantial piece of PCB with what looked to me like an amplifier. Also i saw on older models that the oem sub have it's own amp, but for some strange reason this model of subwoofer is rare and i can't get enough info.

I have assumed it is a LHD Euro Diesel originally with Audio rather than Navi .

OEM Audio wiring diagrams which give you some ideas on the disconnected plugs.

You should also have an aux input terminal in the centre console cubby between the seats

View attachment 524085

View attachment 524084
Thank you, I will read the diagram and come with feedback. And just to clear the things out, I don't have the oem radio, i bought my car SH and the previous owner installed this FlyAudio E7032navi. I mean the sound is great but on high volume i just see the car door shaking but i don't feel the bass, and is a shame that i carry one decent subwoofer with me without using it :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This one is. At the end there is an ID number.
It said 120W and 0.9 ohm, if i remember, i might be wrong with the ohm part.

My OEM subwoofer.

Also, i think THIS is the head unit the car came with, based on production year and what i saw in some others subaru like mine, without the underseat subwoofer tho.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a thing i don't understand in the diagram. I understood that the subwoofer and the aux input are combined in one 8pin connector ( C:i86 type )that plugs in the radio but i can not figure up which cable is which. Because a connector like C:i86 is unpluged. Also, I forgot to mention that the aux input wasnt working, so i just ran an aux cable from the back of the aux input in this aftermarket radio to the place where aux port was. And based in the diagram, i assumed right, the unpluged 8 pin conector with a ground wire is used for connecting aux and subwoofer to the head unit, and because it have nowhere to plug and i don't have any harness, i want to see for what is used each of the wire from the 8 pin connector and do the job manually, cause I live in Romania and there I barely find some not so common original parts, not to mention hanesses and adaptors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi. I came with an update, i got all i need 2 wire the sub. I found all the information i need on qaq russian subaru kind of forum. I just want someone with knowladge to check this diagrams. They look right for me but i am just a newbie.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did it and it works. I will remake the diagram and post it later. This is what i did and it worked. The sound is good enough, because i did the upgrade basically free.

Yellow and black is sub -
Green is sub +
Green with white strips is acc

In that loose 8 pin connector.

1 2 3 4
4 5 6 8

4 is subwoofer +
8 is subwoofer -
3 is acc .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yellow and black is sub -
Green is sub +
Green with white strips is acc

In that loose 8 pin connector.

1 2 3 4
4 5 6 8

4 is subwoofer +
8 is subwoofer -
3 is acc .
Hello Sergiu,

Thanks, I've also been looking for information about this topic. So the active subwoofer is supplied with ACC power, from the aftermarket head-unit? In your setup, how did you do that?
And what about the remining cables on the 8 pin adapter, do you know what they were for?

Regards Peter

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi. The ACC just tells the subwoofer when to turn on, is an low power positive signal that basically goes into an electrical activated switch that turns on the subwoofer. Keep in mind the subwoffer has his own power direct from battery by factory, you don't need to run any cable from the battery to the sub. I had in my aftermarket unit an acc cable that i wired to the ACC wires of the subwoffer, that is found in thet 8pin connector. The rest of the pins are for the aux and usb/ RCA input from central console.The only thing i did was to cut the subwoofer output cable from the aftermarket unit and wire them to the respective cables from the 8pin connector. Of course i did the same thing for the ACC cable.

If your aftermarket head unit does not have an subwoofer output, you can simply just "hook" the subwoofer to one of the speaker output wires like i will tell you:

For example, you cut the Front Right speaker, you wire the POSITIVE to the POSITIVE OF THE Front Right SPEAKER and also to the POSITIVE WIRE OF THE SUBWOOFER from the 8pin connector
and the same thing for the negative wire.

I don't have that unit anymore, now i have an 9 inch android from China, works pretty well, but i installed an amp because the headunit was pretty cheap.
The AMP didnt have an suwoofer output, so i just hooked the sub to the left front channel of the AMP.
Hope you understand, is a bit confusing for me to explain without being in car :D

Also i will post that diagram as soon as i find it again. Was on a russian forum, but i think i posted the link.

EDIT: In case that you wonder, the amplified signal will not ruin your subwoofer, because it acts like an parasite. It will take only as much power as he wants, because the rest will be "consumed" by the intended consumer, and that is the speaker channel you hook up the subwoofer to.

If you wire ONLY the active subwoofer input to an amplified speaker signal, without having something else to absorb the rest of the power, you will fry your subwoofer, so keep that in mind.

There it is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, thanks a lot for the explanation, I made a harness, based on your diagrams, and it’s working now :) + I got the OEM mid-console minijack input connected. I didn’t know, that the AUX also was included in the 8-pin adapter.
cheers!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts