Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0 XS
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
yes, so the time has come that I am fed up with work, family, and all the obligations , and I wanna make something for my self. I am also into music, guitars, etc, but I am fed up with this as well. I want some "gas", if you know what I am saying, many of us suby owners know how it feels.
So my car only has 150HP, I could buy a new car, (I don't like anything particularly), or buy a used one like mine but turbo, I could even buy an identical with mine but turbo, with only the top mount I/C scoop betraying its another car.
But all this is silliness, what if the new one is unreliable? what if the km's on the odo are false, what if its a lemon, etc....
So I thought of going the reversible way. Fit a turbo kit, with just some 5-7 psi boost, for mild power increase lets say from 150HP to achieve something 180HP-200HP or so, and fit a front (or bottom?) mount I/C .

What's your take? I am looking for only moderate increase in power, the mods should not be permanent and I'd like to undo the mods if I ever sell it.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
298 Posts
Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it. Generally speaking though, boosting a NA engine is an exercise in futility. If you want a turbo under the hood of the car you currently own, your best bet is to swap the engine from an XT into it. Speaking to swapping vehicles, obviously, the reliability of any car is an unknown. But, lemons are rare, and odometer fraud is almost nonexistent these days. In fact, if reliability is your primary concern, the most potentially unreliable option that you have listed above would be your current car with a turbo on it.

Slapping a turbo on an NA engine usually causes more problems than it's worth. Often times, problems that were not problems before. I've known many people who slapped a turbo on their cars during the height of the Fast and Furious era. Some home builds, some professional. From Civics and Neons, to Camaros, to Jeeps. Vastly different platforms with one common thread between them. They came from the factory with an NA motor, and went to an early grave with a boosted one. Building a reliable boosted engine from a NA engine is no small feat. Meanwhile, there are WRXs pushing 20 years old with a third of a million miles on the clock still rolling around out there. This is not coincidence.

That said, if your gung-ho to boost your NA engine, go for it. The world is your oyster. You can even do most of the work with second hand Subaru parts. With the exception of some sort of piggyback boost control, fuel management, and ECU. But, after you get to pricing and sourcing all of the bits you need, I bet you'll find that you could swap in a complete XT engine and ECU for less money, time, and headache. You would also have your NA engine to sell to recoup some money. Or you could sell your XS and buy an XT for no headache, other than the question marks of an unknown vehicle.

Please understand that I'm not trying to be a debbie downer. This is a common want, and many folks here on the forum have asked the same question. Unfortunately, the answer is always the same. If you want an XT, buy an XT.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0 XS
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great answers ppl. Best bet is to look for an XT. I am looking at this one which is identical to mine : Subaru Forester 🇬🇷2.5 XT TURBO AWD +NAVI+ΟΡΟΦΗ '09 - 11.750 € - Car.gr
all same except the turbo and the NAVI

Both mine and this XT are manual. Should I expect a dramatic increase in fuel consumption? I drive mostly in town, and currently I am on 11lt/100km mark.
Thanks for the hint on the odometer fraud @Snow3d !
Worst case I might buy this XT without selling mine, and only sell it after 6 months or so when I make sure the new one is tested in all situations. Otherwise sell the XT.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
298 Posts
@panixgr Looks like a pretty fair deal. As far as fuel consumption, you may actually see a decrease if you don't try to push your right foot through the floorboard every chance you get. More power to carry the same weight should equal less fuel to do so...on paper anyhow. If you end up with an XT, you won't be disappointed. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0 XS
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So @Snow3d you are inclined towards the option to exchange mine for this one or have them both for a while and then decide?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts