Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2009 FXT limited
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I finally upgraded from my 05 X to a 09 XT limited this week. I have TONS of oil change receipts and one for head gaskets, timing belt, rebuilt turbo assembly, camshaft bolt, timing covers, breather hose, vacuum hose, oil filter.

the car is at 155k miles and I have put less that 100 on it yet! its not even registered yet. checked codes before purchasing and came up clean and drives great.

Driving home today I got the P0021 code. car runs exactly like it did before the code. nothing sounds different to my untrained ear. once I got home I checked the oil again and it still looks good in color and level.

now Ive already read through multiple forums on this and unfortunately I haven't seen one where someone has solved it and updated the forum. My first steps will be to call the shop previous work was done and see what they think then a flush and drain of the oil and go from there.

Any thoughts, links, records, schematics/diagrams, videos, photos are welcome and encouraged! thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
1,741 Posts
I saw your inquiry in the other thread....

I would take a look at the cam sensor. It could be as simple as making sure the harness connector is seated, or just needs a swap out.

What oil is in it now? 5w30 / 5w40?

C.

·
Registered
2009 FXT limited
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
since I just bought the car I'm not quite sure what was being ran before but after discussing oil with some locals and reading forums I decided to change the oil to Rotella T6 5w40 and see what that does for me. I did that yesterday and put on an OEM filter. ill take a look at the harness connecters are clean and holding well. code hasn't come on since the first time and I cleared it but im betting on it coming back eventually.

im currently trying to locate all the banjo/union bolts I need to remove and check or replace.

·
Registered
2009 FXT limited
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For anyone following this here is the update.
it’s been over a week since I got the code and cleared it. About 2 days after I did a oil change and used an OEM filter and chose to use Rotella T6 5w-40. I’m not working rn (thanks covid) so I don’t drive a ton but in the last 3 days I’ve driven about 250 miles give or take and haven’t got the code once. I also spoke to the shop who’s done most of the work on the car in the last year (this was during the previous owners time with the car) and they said they replaced both VVT solenoids and believe that the filter in the union (banjo) bolts are already removed since the TSB was released and recommend such.
if I get the code again you can bet I’ll be back with that.

·
Registered
2009 FXT limited
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to mention I also ran 4oz of sea foam high mileage for about 50 miles before my oil change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts