Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S auto
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm helping a friend change his timing belt on an '09 model. I forgot to advance the crank and cams to TDC prior to removing the idler pulleys and loosening the belt. Is this a fixable issue??? Regardless of where the belt teeth are, I thought that if I reinstall everything with the old belt, (being careful to not disturb the crank and cam sprockets, I should be able to put it back in time?) Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 5-speed manual
18 Posts
I'm helping a friend change his timing belt on an '09 model. I forgot to advance the crank and cams to TDC prior to removing the idler pulleys and loosening the belt. Is this a fixable issue??? Regardless of where the belt teeth are, I thought that if I reinstall everything with the old belt, (being careful to not disturb the crank and cam sprockets, I should be able to put it back in time?) Thanks for any advice.
Hey there SueBrew.

If the engine was in time before you removed the belt you could in theory replace the belt as is if you did not disturb the relative positions on the crank and camshafts. However, the marks on the belt would not be correct for inspection at a later date.

Personally I would not go that route because timing is critical and you need to be certain the timing belt positioning is correct. I would remove the belt and align all your timing marks as per the procedure in the FSM. Good luck

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,792 Posts
Belt failures are caused by bearing failures. If you are not changing the tensioner, water pump and three filers you are wasting your time j

·
Registered
2001 Forester S auto
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Belt failures are caused by bearing failures. If you are not changing the tensioner, water pump and three filers you are wasting your time j
Thanks ADC. We have a complete kịt and will replace all tensioners and idlers including WP . I just need to figure out how to get the crank and Cam back in time, prior to taking the rest of the old bearings off. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,935 Posts
This may not be a suggestion you like, but, does the engine need new HG? If yes then pull the heads off get them machined and repaired, rotate the engine until you get the timing marks appropriate on the crank and then rotate the cam shafts with the heads off to match and then reinstall the heads.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S auto
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Bman, the HG's are fine on this car as much as we can tell. We used the combustion leak detector fluid with the radiator attachment canister, and the fluid didn't change color. No coolant <-> oil mixing either. Based on what I've read on other Subaru forums, it seems like we just line up the crank sprocket to the "service" postion (piston halfway travel point) , then line up the cam sprocket marks with the respective points on the block (pass side), and rear timing cover notch ( driver side). Then install the new belt, idlers, WP, etc... and turn the crank by hand two full revolutions, to see if the marks on the gears line up again with the reference stationary marks. Does that seem like the right procedure given the circumstances? Thanks again for the help everyone.

·
Registered
2009 FXT
95 Posts
Yes that is how to do it.
When the crank mark is aligned, the crank key will be straight down, and the upper mark will align to the mark on the crank sensor holder. In this position, all pistons are at mid way so you can turn your cams all day and it won't hurt anything.
The passenger side cam has free play when aligning the mark but the driverside is loaded, and wants to spin off its mark. If its right on the mark, it will stay there but a slight bump it will spring off its mark.

·
Registered
2005 subsru forester xs autimatic 2.5 liter all wheel drive
11 Posts
Please go get a real mechanic

·
Registered
2001 Forester S auto
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please go get a real mechanic
Not ready to wave a white flag yet. Stepwise approach should work. When heads are removed for resurfacing in a HG replacement, then there's no belt in the picture and the cams/crank have to be synced manually after reinstall. This is essentially the same process.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S auto
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes that is how to do it.
When the crank mark is aligned, the crank key will be straight down, and the upper mark will align to the mark on the crank sensor holder. In this position, all pistons are at mid way so you can turn your cams all day and it won't hurt anything.
The passenger side cam has free play when aligning the mark but the driverside is loaded, and wants to spin off its mark. If its right on the mark, it will stay there but a slight bump it will spring off its mark.
Subiworx in AZ said (FIRST STEP) to turn the crank sprocket to either 6 position or 12 position depending on which is the closest from quarter turn increment of the crank sprocket mark, (both points have pistons at halfway mark) then (SECOND STEP) turn both the cam sprockets to 12 position (all valves closed, no contact since pistons at halfway travel), then (LAST STEP), turn the crank sprocket back to 12 position so that it is in full "service mode" configuration. This sounds like an FSM approach...doesn't it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts