Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
09 Forester
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a used 2009 X. It didn't come with a Bluetooth ready stereo, so I found one of the CP635U1 HD radio units from a 2013 from a junkyard and just swapped it out today. Went very smooth. 5 minute job. Bluetooth works great. Radio gets better reception, and I like the color screen.

But it looks like I cant switch to AUX now. Worked fine on the old stereo, but only when a cord was plugged in. Any ideas for what i'm doing wrong?

Also, the new stereo comes with a USB setting, but it uses a strange 4 pin plug. Any idea where i can get a USB cord that will plug into it, or at least a connector so I can make one?

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
71 Posts
If I remember correctly the wiring for the head units changed slightly in 2011. So your 2009 wiring harness may not be fully compatible with a 2013 headunit. I'm surprised the bluetooth worked. Are you using the steering wheel controls to work the bluetooth?

And.. did the car you pulled the headunit from have the usb wire attached? You could always go back and grab that.

·
Registered
09 Forester
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm surprised the bluetooth worked. Are you using the steering wheel controls to work the bluetooth?
No. Mine didn't have the Voice/Bluetooth steering wheel controls, so i'm just connecting to the HU directly.

I suppose there is a chance my regular volume steering wheel controls might not work right now. I didn't test them yet.

·
Registered
09 Forester
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And.. did the car you pulled the headunit from have the usb wire attached? You could always go back and grab that.
I didn't actually pull it myself. Most junkyards around here pull things for you nowadays. The one that doesn't charges you to get in and is pillaged to high heaven.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
71 Posts
I didn't actually pull it myself. Most junkyards around here pull things for you nowadays. The one that doesn't charges you to get in and is pillaged to high heaven.
Yeah. It doesn't hurt to ask if you can go in and check out the car to see if it has the chord. That's if they still have the car. Most places I go to don't care and usually give me a discount if I pull it myself even though they aren't technically pick and pull yards.

And If that doesn't work it looks like there's a ton of options for 4 pin usb connectors if you do a quick google search.

·
Registered
09 Forester
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm... i could have sworn i did a search, and all of the connectors were the wrong gender, but tried again and found this one, which appears to be what i need:

Thanks for the kick in the pants.

As for the Aux in, I guess I might be out of luck. I can live with Bluetooth. I do most of my listening that way anyway, and its not like the stereo system is high quality enough to notice the drop in audio quality vs AUX.

·
Registered
09 Forester
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the steering wheel controls don't really work either. A couple of the buttons do things, but not the right things.

I did a bit more detective work. I found pinout diagrams for both stereos and compared them. The connector that carries the Aux signal fit right into the completely wrong connector on the new stereo. It fit into the plug that appears to be for the backup camera, so that explains that not working. I'd have to find a connector that fits "J602" and make my own adapter to make that work.

Also decided to check the main connector to see if i could figure out what went wrong with the Steering wheel controls... i'm just missing an extra "SR2" wire, so probably nothing i can do to fix that.

So all in all, i guess if you don't care about USB, AUX, or steering wheel controls, this swap is worthwhile. Its still a much nicer stereo, and the bluetooth and HD radio are great. But its a bit irksome that a few things don't work.

·
Registered
09 Forester
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, i took it apart with the intention of cutting wires and jury rigging something to get the AUX working. I decided to just see what would happen if i put the connector in the right spot even though it didn't fit. Much to my surprise, it just clicked right into place even though all of the pins weren't used.

I figured the wires must not be in the right place, but tested it anyway, and it works perfectly! So, Aux problem solved... USB problem may get fixed if the cord I ordered fits, and steering wheel controls seems unfix-able.

Just posting this stuff up for people to stumble across in the future in case some other weirdo wants to swap stereos from a 13 to an 09.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X
71 Posts
Hey Looks like you're doing some good detective work here. Nice work on the AUX.
Here's a link to the Subaru 20 pin. Looks like you have most of this info but it could help a bit. Subaru 20-pin radio harness pin-out

My guess as to why the steering wheels controls aren't working properly is because the number of buttons changed in 2011-12 from 6 to 5. Later models had a separate Bluetooth button cluster and deleted the mute button from the wheel cluster. Maybe The newer steering wheels control button cluster would work with the your head unit. The Bluetooth definitely won't work because your car is not wired for that, that's the missing pin you spotted.

My thought is maybe the head unit can only recognize the 5 input signals and not 6.

Check out the diagrams below. Its for a 2011 so it has both Bluetooth and non Bluetooth wiring diagrams for you. From what I can see the 5 button and 6 button both use the same wires to send the resistance signal to the headunit. So my guess is that you need the 5 button controller to work with that headunit.

If you can get the 5 button for a decent price its a pretty simple install and worth a try. Remove airbag, wheel and plug the new controls in. I've done it too many times to count trying to get my steering wheel controls to work with an android headunit.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts