Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have experienced multiple failures with your Subaru Forester? I drive a 2009 Turbo and bought it with 36,000 miles already on it. I maintain my cars diligently. For the most part, the car started every single day and was reliable. However, it had a strange personality and for YEARS, there was a weird "herky jerk" problem very occasionally while driving at about 35 mph and later would dog out every time I drove through a puddle. No one could ever find anything UNTIL 1) Short block engine replacement at about 60,000 miles while under extended warranty. Then we fast forward to 2018......2) Head gasket failure summer of 2018 at 130,000 miles (at that time, more work was done in the lower engine also, so finally no more "herky jerk" driving and cost $3k). Afterward, the car drove GREAT and complete restoration of power. Then I noticed dropping gas mileage for months after the heads were replaced, then gradual loss of power, followed by complete loss of power and burning smell 2 days ago. Just got the word from the shop yesterday 3) Turbo Failure due to "clogged oil line" and a cost of $1,900 to fix it. Apparently it has it's own series of filters and bolts, which make me wonder why it was never mentioned by any mechanic or done as "maintenance" to my knowledge. During any of these HUGE Subaru jobs that have been done, shouldn't someone have noticed or changed these filters? Has anyone else had this happen in an otherwise well-maintained car? I have seen a few posts where people mention that Subaru has had some service bulletins issued on this, but never a recall for a supposedly well-known problem? I realize my car is older, but it's still a big pill to swallow that I somehow got a lemon? Aside from these larger issues, the car starts every day and has generally been a good car, but all these failures by 150,000 miles and BIG ones, tell me these can be real lemons. Please share and any tips to keep my car running smoothly for the time it has left would be appreciated! THANKS :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts