Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Outback
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious how often you should change oil in a 2009 Outback. I live in an area with a normal climate and don't do any hard core driving.

I do drive about 30,000 miles a year so the longer I can put off the oil change I think the better off I am (within reason of course... that's why I'm posing the question).

My book says "Replace" oil & filter every 7500 miles. I noticed today there is a "Recommended" oil change & filter every 3000 miles.

I have about 40,000 miles and have replaced oil every 7,000-7,500 miles in the past.

Also - is it important to have a Subaru oil filter instead of what most shops have? I guess I'd have to either buy my own oil filters to bring with me or take to a subaru dealer.

Thanks! Have a good one..

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts
If you don't drive in extreme conditions or do a lot of stop-and-go, do what the manual tells you... Then send an oil sample for analysis to Blackstone to see if your oil change intervals should be more frequent or if you can go longer between changes.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Hey Wiz,
welcome to the forum.

I think there are different schools of thought on this. I myself never go more than 3750 miles without changing the oil...and I use full synthetic. Using full synthetic, some mechanics will tell you that you don't have to change oil for 5000-7000 miles, especially on these newer engines. But I'm not a proponent of this philosophy.

Also, as you can imagine, this issue has been posted and debated repeatedly on this forum, so you might want to read what others say. Do a title search on "oil change" and you should get a few pages of threads. :icon_cool:

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,120 Posts
The non-turbo Subaru is very easy on oil. I have gone 10,000 miles with an excellent oil analysis. Before going that distance I would recommend an oil analysis....Blackstone Labs Due to the high oil bypass setting I would go with the Subaru Filters. There are different opinions on this topic, :)

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,755 Posts
I would change it every 3 months or 3000-3500 miles
I agree! Very cheap insurance for a lasting engine. I use that routine on all my vehicles. My '95 Neon is still running perfectly with no shop repairs required for many years! :cool:

As to oil filters. I prefer WIX or NAPA Gold (made by WIX). :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,682 Posts
The non-turbo Subaru is very easy on oil. I have gone 10,000 miles with an excellent oil analysis. Before going that distance I would recommend an oil analysis....Blackstone Labs Due to the high oil bypass setting I would go with the Subaru Filters. There are different opinions on this topic, :)
^This.

N/A cars are 7,500 miles for normal service. If you're running synthetic, this is easy for a lot of oils. If you're running conventional, maybe 5-7,500 miles, but be guided by a used oil analysis. Not us. :biggrin:

-Dennis

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
If most of your trips are running the car on the highway or similar for more than 20 minutes at a time, then you can do the 7500 mile changes easy on a non-turbo 4 cyl. If you do more stop and go driving, every 3-4000.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts