Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have a 2009 Forester XT Limited and I think the turbo is going out (Whining a lot). I am getting the banjo bolts removed by my mechanic next weekend after I do a fresh oil change to be safe. My main question is what size turbo is the oem turbo? Is it the TD04l or another kind of turbo? Auto parts store wants $1200, online auto parts store wants $530, but these TD04l's that pop up everytime I search for this car and turbo is only $250. What's the best OEM swap?

·
Registered
7 Posts
OEM is a TD04.
I put a VF52 on my 2011 XT (along with a process-west verticooler, DW65C fuel pump, 3"turbo-back Invidia exhaust and a 3-port boost control solenoid, among other things...) and its getting 200kw/270hp at the wheels.

Granted you probably dont need all of that if you keep it at a mild boost level - any change of turbo will absolutely need a custom protune.

The VF52 is a bolt-on turbo for the SH forester XT. Just be sure that you also get the fitment kit that comes with the correct oil feed lines.

If you just want to replace the TD04 with another TD04, dont get a 2nd hand turbo - you have no idea if it's been on a blown engine, and therfore could contain metal debris. Get it from a reputable turbo dealer, and make sure its brand new.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
56 Posts
You might want to call some reputable Subaru service centers, they could have some used TD04’s in good condition.

This weekend I plan to list my VF39 for sale if you consider that route.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts