Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed an STI rack, and have since experienced some type of rubbing/grinding/binding sound (and feeling). This occurs when "loading" the suspension and turning, as in around traffic circles or tight exit/entrance ramps. Trouble is, neither myself or the shop can see any signs of trouble.

Alignment was done after the rack replacement, brakes look good, and no signs of rubbing, but that's what it feels and sounds like. Like a tire rubbing the inner fender, but it's not. Any insight out there? Would being at Forester ride height cause this? I've started looking into tire scrub and Ackerman angle, but not sure I see why these issues would apply.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Left and right, but left turns are twice as pronounced.

Steering wheel almost locks into place, and any touch of the brake it goes away (left turns). Right turns groan or slightly stutter.

·
Registered
2007 Lexus GX470
1,941 Posts
Left and right, but left turns are twice as pronounced.

Steering wheel almost locks into place, and any touch of the brake it goes away (left turns). Right turns groan or slightly stutter.

Maybe you still have some air in the rack. Put the front end on jackstands, start the car and go back and forth lock to lock and hold it at each full lock for a few seconds each time.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe you still have some air in the rack. Put the front end on jackstands, start the car and go back and forth lock to lock and hold it at each full lock for a few seconds each time.
I'll give it a try, hopefully with results. I've driven 1k + miles, so not so sure....although not often do I hit the locks....

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you certain that the rack was centered? In other words, the same amount of turns from center to lock on both sides?
Pretty damn close but not perfect. Here is full left and full right. When I got the rack, I laid the stock one up to it to roughly set the tie rods, then alignment.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wondered how and if height had anything to do with it, even pondered if flipping the tie rod ends upside down would compensate for a few inches? Seems silly, but possibly effective. I'm simply not sure where things are not working out, much less how to adjust if even necessary, ya know?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honestly I am out of ideas. I've thought a out this long and hard and it must have something to do with you being at stock Forester ride height.
Agreed, very puzzling, especially since I don't see why it would operate any differently. This week I'm gonna get back under there and check a few more things.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My head hurts over this. I'm gonna take a nice, windows down spring cruise over to iag today. See if anyone there has any insight, or schedule an appointment.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First thing the tech discovered is I installed the Perrin steering dampener lockout upside down! Fixed, but this did not resolve the issue. They also mentioned steering angle sensor or vdc could be to blame. Any thoughts?

Ran outta time and have to go back later for further diagnosis.

Anyone else have this rack and this problem?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
While researching steering angle sensor and VDC / ESC issues with the rack, the first thing I found is I made the crucial mistake of rotating the steering wheel some unknown number of times while everything was disconnected (quite ignorant of any of this technology). BTW, @GTEASER saw a post from you on legacy forum 8-28-17 that shed some light.

Realistically, this means random chance that sensor is calibrated to center, even though the steering wheel is. Funny thing is the traction control lights or ecu lights are not affected, like I read in most cases.

Today I scheduled another diagnostic session with IAG for next week, and while on the phone, mentioned how the wheel was spun. He said no lights = not far enough out of spec for the computer to care, so this may just be how it is. I'm hesitant to believe that. Didn't @nate_fisher have success with this rack? Any extras needed mechanically like sti pump or angle sensor? Soooo frustrated

1 - 20 of 58 Posts