Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Forester. the dealer and VIN said "LL Bean Edition" but it doesnt show that badge.
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a 09 Forester about 8 months ago and have been very happy with this one. We had had a 1999 Forester before until it was killed in a accident and I still miss that car. We discovered that the previous owner made some strange mods. According to the VIN it's a L.L Bean model. No L.L Bean plaque on the back. They switched the preva (sp) from the right to the left side. They also didn't keep up with the recall repairs. I'm looking to get the plugs changed because power does seem to be a bit low. I googled doing it but can't do it myself like in the old forester but local garages are wanting $300 + to do it. They say it's mostly because the proper spark plugs are $35- $45 each and they have to take the engine out. Is any of this true or are they blowing smoke. I checked and the OEM plugs from the manual are about $5.00.

Captain Quack.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,741 Posts
No need to remove the engine but it is a tight job, even with the proper tools. Find a garage that knows Subarus.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Forester. the dealer and VIN said "LL Bean Edition" but it doesnt show that badge.
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of them is the guys who took over from my old mechanic. Same price. All the local mechanics are in lock step around here. Is there an easy way to check and see if I really do need new plugs? All I can say is it seems a bit under powered compared to my old '99 Forester but that's trying to remember back to 2014.

Captain Quack.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,712 Posts
You can use the Autolite Double Plats at like 3/4 bucks per plug. The first change will take 1.5 hours ..............the second half the time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't mind paying for NGK plugs. I remember what they did to my old forester. I don't mind like $6.00 or $7.00 or maybe even $10.00 a plug for really good ones but $35.00 + is way too much for men.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,913 Posts
.... 09 Forester... looking to get the plugs changed because power does seem to be a bit low... they have to take the engine out. Is any of this true...
The Subaru maintenance schedule calls for spark plugs to be replaced every 30,000 miles which is conservative. The engine does not have to be removed for this unless the shop lacks the proper tools. I would not think that plugs could make an obvious difference in power, so you should also consider other reasons. Here is a write up that member adc (Post #4) did many years ago:

·
Registered
2009 FXT
85 Posts
@Captain Quack
I would assume this is an XT model, since a non turbo model is very easy to change plugs.
That being said, with the right tools (Snap-on flex spark plug socket), it is not a terrible job to replace plugs on a Turbo XT model, definitely do not need to remove the engine.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
141 Posts
On an NA the plugs aren't difficult to change at all, just slightly time consuming. You have to remove the battery and air box but both of those are only 2-3 bolts. A spark plus socket and a 3" extension is all you need for tools for the plugs. What plugs you run are your choice but they should only range from $2-12/each.

If you can turn a wrench and have an hour you can do this job.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,303 Posts
Lots of options for plugs

If you wanted to you could use the cheapest NGK copper plugs, you would just need to replace them at much shorter intervals. I went with NGK Iridium IX which does not last as long as the Laser Iridium but should still be good for 80,000 to 90,0000 KM.

What were the original plugs that came with a 2009 NA?

·
Registered
2009 Forester M5 2.5 SOHC
107 Posts
A couple of tools I use to help:
-Magnetic pickup thingy— to fish out the plug or socket out of the hole if you drop it in
- an old spark plug boot cut from an old wire set — stick the new plug in it to start the threads. It’s flexible and helps line up the plug. You can also use it to spin the old plugs out once loose.
Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for that data. I did read the article by ADC when I first looked into this and that was one of the things that helped me decide that it was just a bit outside my physical skill set as well as not having quite the right tools. I'm just not as flexible and good with my hands as I used to be.

Captain Quack.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
To answer my own question
The OEM plug for a 2009 is NGK p/n FR5AP-11 (stock # 5463)

('09-'13) - 2009 X - Spark plugs non turbo?.
Yeah, I was going to say, $35 plus for the "proper" plugs is highway robbery. Those NGKs are around $8-$9 which is what I would expect.

Having said that, I am reminded that I need to change the ones out in my Challenger. .....about the same price but I have 16 to replace. :oops:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HMMMMMMM. Challenger...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
NGK p/n FR5AP-11. $8.39 at my local O'rilleys. I'd pay that. Now to find a competent mechanic who will do it. Local shops will only do their own parts.

·
Registered
2015 Forester "Premium", 2.0 NA
59 Posts
Can't go wrong with the original spec NGKs. In cars that I don't want to do the job often, I usually spend on the NGK laser iridium/platinum or the Iridium IX, but then other cars that are more likely to foul the plugs earlier for a host of reasons (not subaru) I use the NGK G-Power or Denso Platinum TT. Cheap, but still reasonably long-lasting.

Good stuff

·
Registered
2008 2.5X 4 speed automatic
403 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester
10 Posts
We bought a 09 Forester about 8 months ago and have been very happy with this one. We had had a 1999 Forester before until it was killed in a accident and I still miss that car. We discovered that the previous owner made some strange mods. According to the VIN it's a L.L Bean model. No L.L Bean plaque on the back. They switched the preva (sp) from the right to the left side. They also didn't keep up with the recall repairs. I'm looking to get the plugs changed because power does seem to be a bit low. I googled doing it but can't do it myself like in the old forester but local garages are wanting $300 + to do it. They say it's mostly because the proper spark plugs are $35- $45 each and they have to take the engine out. Is any of this true or are they blowing smoke. I checked and the OEM plugs from the manual are about $5.00.

Captain Quack.
Hi, $35-$45 per plug sounds like larceny, but I found I could buy the exact platinum plugs I needed for my 2003 Honda Civic directly from a top-quality OEM plug maker. I got NGKs for about $11 apiece, less than any other source (a local dealer listed plug change at about $27 each. Unfortunately, NGK does not list a plug for a 2009 Forester. I suggest you check with Denso, another top quality plug maker. They list several different plugs for 2009 Subarus depending on type (Iridium, Platinum, etc.), for Turbo or non-Tturbo, etc. For example, their PK16TT ( 4503 ) Platinum TT plugs for non-Turbo 2009 Forester cost $3.65 each! Here's a TinyURL link to the page on the Denso website. https://tinyurl.com/6a39vmd8

1 - 20 of 41 Posts