Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know how to disaasemble a side view mirror? my passenger side mirror has a bad high speed wobble (the mirror inside the housing). i tried to get the dealer to repair it under warranty but they wouldn't.

you need to be driving at freeway speeds to see it, but it definitely vibrates considerably. the driver side is virtually rock solid, so it appears to be in need of some tightening or a new dampener inside.

i see a small slit between the halves of the body, but have been a little hesitant of trying to pry it apart until i know for certain i am doing the right thing.

·
Registered
09 Forester XT
19 Posts
A lot of body shops have free estimates, i cant imagine it costing that much. I for one would rather pay for someone to pry stuff open and have it covered in the future.

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,055 Posts
Mirror glass pops off a couple of balljoints inside the housing. IIRC, you lever the inside, lower corner.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,929 Posts
How can a dealer walk away from fixing that on a 2009???? Have you pushed the complaint up the chain of command at the dealer?

This is total BS............don't just grab your ankles and accept the dealer's response at face value.....and, by all means, call SOA and lodge a complaint against the dealer, get SOA involved and don't, under any circumstances let someone other than the dealer touch the car.

If someone else's fix makes things worse, you won't have any recourse. Stay within the SOA network for what is definitely warranty work.

Go get 'em!

Steve

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
Our '09 FXT had the same issue.

I didn't have the above illustration from the Service Manual to guide me at the time, so I attacked the problem the only way I knew how - from the "back," via removing the scalp caps. I tried a couple of different things...no luck.

Took her in to the dealer, they replaced a "clip." The problem went away.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
Mine was looked at and fixed by my service manager. He popped the mirror glass out, found that the ball and socket that holds it in was "dry". He applied a fair amount of grease on it and reassembled it. I now have a year and a half on it and have had no further problems.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,929 Posts
I repeat:

Let the dealer handle it.....they are obligated by their license to market Subarus......this isn't an option for them as long as it's still in warranty.

Steve

·
Registered
2009 Forester
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How can a dealer walk away from fixing that on a 2009???? Have you pushed the complaint up the chain of command at the dealer?

This is total BS............don't just grab your ankles and accept the dealer's response at face value.....and, by all means, call SOA and lodge a complaint against the dealer, get SOA involved and don't, under any circumstances let someone other than the dealer touch the car.

If someone else's fix makes things worse, you won't have any recourse. Stay within the SOA network for what is definitely warranty work.

Go get 'em!

Steve
you are certainly correct. however, i have limited free time to pursue this right now. the head of the service dept. is a jerk, i have dealt with him before.

i will be going in for a 30,000 mile servicing soon. i will deal with it then.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,929 Posts
Hi again:

The Service "manager" may indeed be a jerk. That really isn't the point, though. The point is that your 09 is under the factory warranty and the so-called manager has nothing to say about it.

Taking care of this issue isn't his choice to make.....it's his obligation, unless he wishes to seek employment elsewhere. His job isn't indentured slavery........if handling the responsibilities is beyond him, then he needs to be sent on his way.

We're all busy, admittedly, some are more busy than others BUT you are helping yourself and others when you complain about poor service. SOA needs to know that the dealer is being represented by a dickwad (sorry) to a public that has many other good new car options available to them.

I guarantee that you will receive a response from SOA that will please you. Just stick to your guns and ram the complaint thru. If the manager is that bad, then I'm sure that this is already known by his employer BUT just needs to be moved along.

Let us know what happens.........

Steve

·
Registered
2008 Forester LL Bean
22 Posts
Thanks gents, the drivers side on my '09 has the speed wobble and it's driving me nuts.

Update: worked like a charm. Three mount points, all were greased.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1 Posts
does anyone know how to disaasemble a side view mirror? my passenger side mirror has a bad high speed wobble (the mirror inside the housing). i tried to get the dealer to repair it under warranty but they wouldn't.
Hi there,

I was wondering if you ever got this fixed? I just bought a 2009 and having the same issue. And i'm about to take it apart should be fun!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts