Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 XT Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for authoritative info about how the Forester geometry compares to the Impreza. Specifically did the Foz get more ride height strictly by increased spring rate/installed height/perch height that essentially raises the whole platform (that is identical to an Impreza) or is there more to it than that?
The reason I ask is that my 2009 XT seems to exhibit front bump steer at 55+ mph when rebounding from a bump. Quite discomforting. My theory is that if Subie just raised the whole platform but didn't change the steering geometry to compensate, that might be causing what I feel. (The higher ride height plus extended suspension on rebound is causing excessive bump steer.) It then follows that either correcting the steering rod link height, or going to shorter springs (like the Swifts I have in the garage) might be a solution.

Rather than crawl around on the garage floor taking measurements, I'm hoping someone already knows the answer!

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Gary from Mann Engineering may be a good person to ask, he worked with Swift to design the springs.

Stan

·
Registered
2009 XT Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I had also sent Gary a note in case he wasn't checking the suspension threads. I got my Swifts from him.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
I'm looking for authoritative info about how the Forester geometry compares to the Impreza. Specifically did the Foz get more ride height strictly by increased spring rate/installed height/perch height that essentially raises the whole platform (that is identical to an Impreza) or is there more to it than that?
The reason I ask is that my 2009 XT seems to exhibit front bump steer at 55+ mph when rebounding from a bump. Quite discomforting. My theory is that if Subie just raised the whole platform but didn't change the steering geometry to compensate, that might be causing what I feel. (The higher ride height plus extended suspension on rebound is causing excessive bump steer.) It then follows that either correcting the steering rod link height, or going to shorter springs (like the Swifts I have in the garage) might be a solution.

Rather than crawl around on the garage floor taking measurements, I'm hoping someone already knows the answer!
Weird, my '09 XT doesnt' bump steer any that I have noticed ... and that includes a few spirited runs in the "perhaps" triple digit range :icon_rolleyes: (but of course I would never do that on a public highway).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts