Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
834 Posts
No not at all...
Um...yes, all.

Im simply saying that Riselone in particular is not snake oil... And that in particular it actually as helped the diesel owners community since the mandated change to the new CK4 type oils in the diesel industry.
Sure, it helped them destroy the catalytic converters. If oil companies reduced or removed additives to protect the converters and drivers added them back with Rislone then that has to be the outcome unless you have some evidence Rislone's additives have some special protective properties the oil companies' additives don't. Not that it matters because whatever the impact Rislone may have on diesel engines says nothing about its efficacy in petrol/gasoline engines.

Is it snakeoil. I don't know, but I suspect it probably is. Oil companies spend millions on research to optimize their products and one of the issues they have to deal with is trade-offs between an additive's gains and losses as with your diesel example. If extra additives enhanced engine protection without doing harm then why wouldn't the oil companies add them? The extra cost is likely to be minimal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Um...yes, all.

Sure, it helped them destroy the catalytic converters. If oil companies reduced or removed additives to protect the converters and drivers added them back with Rislone then that has to be the outcome unless you have some evidence Rislone's additives have some special protective properties the oil companies' additives don't. Not that it matters because whatever the impact Rislone may have on diesel engines says nothing about its efficacy in petrol/gasoline engines.

Is it snakeoil. I don't know, but I suspect it probably is. Oil companies spend millions on research to optimize their products and one of the issues they have to deal with is trade-offs between an additive's gains and losses as with your diesel example. If extra additives enhanced engine protection without doing harm then why wouldn't the oil companies add them? The extra cost is likely to be minimal.

Slothman,

Gasoline engine oil still to this day comes with Zinc and Phos they just reduced they amount and replaced with other ingredients due to changes in the material used in most emissions systems... Ford did a universally accepted and standardized wear test on engine cylinders and said the new oil is not meeting the standard and they will deny warranties. IF the test was not something standardized and widely recognized why did oil companies actually make changes, allow re-testing and find a way to improve the oil and still meet requirements? Historically diesel oils never had catalytic converters so a higher blend of zinc/phos did not affect cats because the pre 2008 models never had them. You really should read what I write more carefully before responding. Your whole last post shows you either don't care or didn't read what I was saying. I simply stated that Riselone ZDDP is not just a snake oil and had beneficial applications SPECIFIC to the diesel oil industry. I NEVER ONCE said everyone should just go throw it into their crank case just that not all additives are snake oils. Some actually do have a purpose and help. I also made it very clear that im no oil expert and this was from the oil sampling companies and directly from the Shell oil company customer service line. Its not magic its just something I don't fully understand and was sharing what those much smarter than me in a way that I knew how.

Use Riselone don't use Riselone doesn't bother me at all. Making generalized claims about products without any reasoning or experience is just not wise. Many folks come to these forums in the search of help and helping with what one knows is sometimes the best they can do.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The proof of the pudding is does the additive improve oil analysis. Have yet to see that.

That is from 2008... I posted results that showed a specific improvement in the CK4 oil blend compared to the older CJ4 spec from 2018. Again im not saying its a one size fits all Im just saying that specifically it has been prooven to be a of help to DIESEL oil that were re-forumulated from CJ4 to CK4 for the new environmental regulations. I know a good portion of companies probably are just snake oil but I feel there are some that saw a specific need and spent just as much money as some refineries to make something that actually helped too. Subaru di the same with their coolant. If the coolant was truely all the car needed as designed by the manufacture why did subaru go through all the trouble for the conditioner and then change to the blue coolant that already had it pre mixed?

21 - 23 of 23 Posts