Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever heard of Rislone oil treatment? I've been using it since 1971 and have seen some unbelievable results (even though I have no idea what is really in it). I hear it's been around since 1939; but no mechanic I've ever talked to has admitted hearing of it or using it............ TKS, J

·
Registered
2015 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
1,317 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of Rislone oil treatment? I've been using it since 1971 and have seen some unbelievable results (even though I have no idea what is really in it). I hear it's been around since 1939; but no mechanic I've ever talked to has admitted hearing of it or using it............ TKS, J
The name sounds vaguely familiar but I've never used it.

What sort of unbelievable results have you seen?

·
Registered
2009 Forester
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rislone

Well, it was a long time ago, but I had been using it in a 1970 chevy 6 cyl since the car was new. After about 165,000 miles I had to replace the valve cover gasket. When I pulled the cover I expected to see a lot of muck and sludge (even though I change my oil and filter religiously every 3K miles). What I found was an immaculately clean valve cover and the rocker arms etc were all completely free of any kind of dirt or sticky stuff. I still use it but do worry about whether I should or not what with the 4 qt capacity of the Subies....and perhaps a too high a ratio of additive to regular oil; but so far, no probs (hope I didn't jinx myself). J

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Well, it was a long time ago, but I had been using it in a 1970 chevy 6 cyl since the car was new. After about 165,000 miles I had to replace the valve cover gasket. When I pulled the cover I expected to see a lot of muck and sludge (even though I change my oil and filter religiously every 3K miles). What I found was an immaculately clean valve cover and the rocker arms etc were all completely free of any kind of dirt or sticky stuff. I still use it but do worry about whether I should or not what with the 4 qt capacity of the Subies....and perhaps a too high a ratio of additive to regular oil; but so far, no probs (hope I didn't jinx myself). J
That sounds pretty good. The quality of oils now has to be better than it was then (I can't remember ... did they even have multi-viscosity oil then, or was it the regular "30 weight" we always used?). Probably wouldn't hurt anything to use it though, especially with that sort of personal track record. Where is it sold?

·
Registered
2009 Forester
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been getting it at Walmart...............not sure if you have them in Alabama (?).

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,250 Posts
Sounds to me like one of my old favorites.

::Marvel Mystery Oil::

It was a great product back then. But I wouldn't use it with today's modern engines.

·
Premium Member
2009 Forester 2.5 Limited Auto
346 Posts
I would only use "Mechanic in a can" if the engine had a sludge problem. Not needed with modern motor oils. Could cause more harm than good.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I've been getting it at Walmart...............not sure if you have them in Alabama (?).
Oh yeah, we've got Wal Mart. In fact, they're just about to overtake this place. They just opened a new Super Center, and I read where they will be building another one soon. I think there are 11 or 12 Super Centers in my county, so that's what I mean by taking over ... they really are. And now they're building smaller stores that are just grocery stores ... kind of a large mini-mart.

You gonna try the Risalone in your Subie?

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
448 Posts
Yep. Used to use Rislone to free up sticky valves and lifters. Basically does the same thing as Marvel Mystery Oil. I can't imagine using it on a regular basis in a modern engine. Today's oils and even yesterday's oils just don't leave a lot of sludge and stuff in an engine. Now, oils from the day before yesterday ...

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
185 Posts
Are you kidding me? Doesn't anyone read their owners manual? Don't put any of that stuff in your crankcase, 0W-20 oil is thin enough without diluting it with kerosene (the main ingredient of the snake oils mentioned). Just put good synth oil in it and drive it. Save your money to buy more oil the engine burns.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Premium automatic
1,072 Posts
My Dad, Was a mechanic during WW11, he was very familiar with Rislone and
used it in all his cars when I was growing up in the 50s and 60s.Especially used it
in all his hi- mileage stuff.I dont believe he ever had a problem with it. I dont know
how well it would do with todays cars and oils,not sure what Rislone contains ,but I
dont remember it smelling like kerosene. I still use a little Marvel mystery oil in my
fuel,but never put it in my crankcase. I have used the MMM for at least 10 years in my
fuel in several different cars without any problems. ed

·
Registered
2009 Forester
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, as I mentioned, I've been using it in every car I've owned since 1970 with the exception of a 2011 Prius which uses Mobil 1 0w-20. Now, I'm not sure if I will continue to use it if I get my new 2015/2016 Subie. I did get turned on to it by an Old Timer who I meant when I lived in Minnesota. He told me that he had been using it since 1939. Just for the heck of it, I googled it tonite and found that the company has been in existence since 1921.....THEY MUST BE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT. There web page has some very interesting Q/A's about new cars and 'synthetic' oil. Thought I would pass on the link to y'all; I'm still thinking I may use it with the new car, but then....??? I use it in my wife's 2009 Forester because a) she only puts about 3,000 miles a year on it and 2) it doesn't appear that she will ever let it go...... http://rislone.com/product/engine-treatment-2/
Tks for all the responses, J

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 2.5 4 speed automatic
3 Posts
I've been using Rislone for many years and a mechanic recommended it back in the 70's.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Snake oil

You can't even compare oils of today to oils of 40/50 years ago. Sad to see folks wasting their $$ on snake oil but it keeps people employed.

too be fair it has helped the diesel industry... The new CK4 oil requirements caused an uproar in big trucks. The EPA now forced oil companies to take many of the helpful agents in HD oils out because now many big rigs were using cats and the agents particularity zinc and Phos "reduced cats lifespans" Ford went as far to deny warranties because cylinder wear test showed the new ck4 oils were NOT as good as ck3 oils now not in use. Couple folks on bobistheoil guy started some ******* testing and sent everything to blackstone and another company to get samples tested and see what was really going on.

CK4 was not ALL THAT BAD but did not protect near as well even with the extra mag added in place of the greatly reduced zinc and phos... They started sending in samples with the snake oil bottles added after driving 5k miles and then comparing the virgin samples and the samples with snake oil. Many were just that but oddly enough Riselone zddp actually helped the diesel community. It brough ck4 spec oils to around 80% of the older CK3 specs and so far does not appear to be hurting the emissions systems. Granted it was one bottled added to a 15quart system. I bookmarked the blackstone and other companies lab reports but it may take me a while to find them as oil and additives are hotly debated and some folks feel very strongy that ANYTHING added is bad.

needless to say the riselone zddp is still very popular in the bigrig community because it actually helped when diesel oil was forced from ck3 into the ck4 spec. In particular Rotella and Delo were very good with the 1 bottle of riselone added. But too much made the oil even worse. I don't have all the exact data. But not everything is snake oil.

Archoil ar9100 is a very well proven oil additive. Espicialy again in the diesel community. Ford dropped the ball with the 6.0l diesel from 03-07 and among all the other problems a coating wore off on the injector spool valves way to early causing stiction issues. Archoil gave many owners years of stiction free operation until you could either replace the injectors or sell the truck.

Don't get me wrong there are plenty of snake oils out there and super funny I saw a Riselone thread in a subyforum vs the diesel one i have frequented since i got them in 2011 lol.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
834 Posts
The EPA now forced oil companies to take many of the helpful agents in HD oils out because now many big rigs were using cats and the agents particularity zinc and Phos "reduced cats lifespans"
So you're recommending an additive which adds catalytic converter destroying zinc and phosphate?

so far does not appear to be hurting the emissions systems
Is this an anecdotal assertion, or is supported by credible research? Why would zinc and phosphorus in Rislone be less harmful than the zinc and phosphorus taken out by the oil companies?

·
Registered
70 Posts
So you're recommending an additive which adds catalytic converter destroying zinc and phosphate?

Is this an anecdotal assertion, or is supported by credible research? Why would zinc and phosphorus in Rislone be less harmful than the zinc and phosphorus taken out by the oil companies?

No not at all... Im simply saying that Riselone in particular is not snake oil... And that in particular it actually as helped the diesel owners community since the mandated change to the new CK4 type oils in the diesel industry. It does not appear that CK4 is a gas engine oil. Zinc and Phos have been in engine oils since as long as I can remember but the levels have been changed and other materials added in its place due to new EPA regs. 99% of what im telling you can be researched easily but folks get pretty concerned when a large manufacture says hey thats great trying to change the oil to be more friendly but it still needs to do its job on keeping equipment running and the ck4 by itself was not.

I'll do my best to explain how I was told by Shell when they explained to me the controversy with CK4 and CK3 oils. yes I called a dozen or so times and then finally someone said ok heres the basics. That and the oil fanatics and BITOG who posted actual samples with test results on the additive packages from the various ck3 and ck4 oils and after adding various "snake oils".

Diesels for a long time did not have true emissions systems like most modern cars and so their oils were quite a different formula. So if you bought a gas engine 10w-30 and a diesel rated oil 10w-30 they actually were very different and a diesel oil would shorten the life of cats in gas vehicles. But when much of the new EPA mandates and diesels started to come with DPF and DEF systems similar to gas engines their oils had to change too. Many in the petroleum industry called it a loophole for diesel oil essentially. Then in mid 2007 the DPF/DEF systems were installed from the factory on most diesels. prior too that many had an egr valve, a cat with no sensors and programming and that was it.

CK4 oils have reduced many of the ingredients and were replaced by different additive packages. to meet the environmental requirements and still meet MINIMUM API specs. However for some reason Ford did some testing on the CK4 blends and said if you don't use an oil on the approved list we wont warranty the engine. Fords oil was on like the 4th page so it was not some ploy to get folks to buy Motorcraft branded oils. Rotella even changed their oil additive package blend to be put on the list after almost a year.... I can't find the link still but blackstone and another popular oil sample company both confirmed that CK4 oil was in fact not as good as ck3 spec oil in MANY ways BUT they cautioned folks about mixing oil in the hopes of helping their trucks. A couple of folks did their best without destroying engines and posted it on bobistheoilguy this was maybe a year or two when I went to buy oil and i noticed everything said CK4 and had different labels so I researched it and thought what the heck is going on now I can't use the new oil? I was VERY skeptical CK4 was not as good but numerous results posted showed although it wouldn't blow up your engine it did not hold up near as well as the previous CK3 spec oil.

Bobistheoil guys is full of crap and on the other hand they have some amazing data supported by true research and folks 10x smarter than me. I hope I didn't make it even more muddy? Also im not saying Riselone is the savior but that when the whole CK4 oil freaked the diesel world out some folks put in a ton of effort with their own money, time and equipment and for diesels at least 1 quart in a 15quart system was enough to change the oil in a way two companies said had no negative impact on the blend but improved it to almost the same as the ck3 oils.

Its the same reason actually Amsoil didn't get the API rating on their oil for years. They wouldn't blend it according to EPA specs and it would not pass. so it was categorized as offroad/race only. It wasn't until a few years ago they changed. Im also not vouching for Amsoil as I will never pay their price but just another example of how just because a product claims to make oil better doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't. You can research Archoil ar9100 yourself. I've personally seen the buzz test results on my own 2004 and 2006 F350 and used it more on others. Im much more of a powerstroke guy than a subaru guy but I wanted a safe and reliable awd for my wife so I dabble here on the forester forum lol.

Here is one sample I found on a powerstroke forum note my name being used there too lol. But Bobistheoilguy had way more of what i considered data to validate some additives actually helping oils.

bob is the oil guy has become harder to find older threads lately.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,380 Posts
The proof of the pudding is does the additive improve oil analysis. Have yet to see that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts