Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Subaru Forester that has recently blew its radiator hose. I have replaced the hose however, I noticed that the radiator connector has deteriorated as well. I have also found chunks of the deteriorated plastic at the bottom of the coolant loop (assuming it was from the connector in the image). I have already ordered a new radiator although I am wondering if this is a common issue or if this is a part that has been recalled at some point. Should I also be concerned with possible damage to the water pump?

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Forester X SE 5MT
62 Posts
I see you never received any replies - and now I have the same question. The upper connection looks practically chewed off. I'm replacing my radiator, but now I wonder if I need to flush the system? But in which direction? I think the upper is flowing IN to the radiator, so I'd hope any smaller bits would be caught inside the radiator itself...

·
Registered
2009 Forester X
8 Posts
I just had this same situation recently. Upper connection looked melted and some plastic had broken off. I replaced the radiator, hoses, and thermostat. Did 2 flushes with distilled water. For me, I did not find any plastic after changing out parts and flushing. I had a screen to see if any plastic was in the system when I drained the water from the lower hose.

I did use Subaru coolant and conditioner. It’s been almost a week and haven’t had any issues.

The upper hose is the inlet into the radiator.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2009 Subaru Forester that has recently blew its radiator hose. I have replaced the hose however, I noticed that the radiator connector has deteriorated as well. I have also found chunks of the deteriorated plastic at the bottom of the coolant loop (assuming it was from the connector in the image). I have already ordered a new radiator although I am wondering if this is a common issue or if this is a part that has been recalled at some point. Should I also be concerned with possible damage to the water pump?
This happed to mine as well last year. Replaced the radiator and it had happened again. Never heard of a recall for it though :/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts