Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester auto
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Our ‘09 Forester with nearly 210K miles is starting to throw this code. There are no drive-ability issues and once cleared might not come back for quite a while. I have searched this forum and in general for solutions to this (“torque converter clutch circuit —> performance or stuck off”) problem but there doesn’t seem to be an awful lot. One of the things to check is the wiring harness for cleanliness at the firewall of which there are two separate large plugs.
The more centrally located plug with the round cover originates from the txmsn area but i am not sure how to get it apart. These are the round covers with the arrow on them...
Also, there area couple of vids on YouTube about the 4EAT txmsn solenoids and replacement but they do not describe which solenoids are which. Is there a “go to” thread for this matter? I’d like to be able to do as much before i give it to someone who will render me both armless and legless because of this.
Thanks in advance
SA

·
Registered
2009 Forester auto
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update - Well, I realized that the connections on the firewall were not the ones i was looking for and indeed it does not look like they can be separated at all. There are two square male/female plugs for the transmission underneath the throttle body that i noticed once i had better light. I separated them and squirted them liberally with contact cleaner and let them sit for a while before connecting them again. Knock on wood, it seems like the problem has gone away (after a couple of 40-60 minute round trips). Lets hope it stays that way!
Lesson reinforced; start with the simple/easy stuff first!
SA

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
@smart alec This is interesting. My 2010 started to intermittently throw this code at 210,000 mi. Usually happens on the highway and only every 1000 mi or so. Has your code reoccurred?

·
Registered
2009 Forester auto
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, i have not responded to this! I cleared the code and until now it has stayed away so i forgot that i had posted regarding this.
To answer your question; it came back yesterday when my wife was out for an errand. She said that it behaved normally. I checked the fluid a couple of days ago and the level was good and the colour too. I have cleared it again and for now am calling it a nuisance fault...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts