Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Forester 2.5x
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 09 Forester xt with a problem..Whenever I put the pedal down the car will jolt and the traction control light, engine light will come on and the cruise light will flash. I have scanned the code and it is P0244, (Turbo Wastegate A Solenoid Range/ Performance). After the initial jolt the car will run fine as long as you don't step on it. After Turning the car off and starting it three times the lights will disappear and not come back on unless you gun it again.

The previous owner had a shop put a new turbo in, (Subaru turbo 28582 14411aa710). The shop that put the new turbo in did a hack job and put generic hoses on for the vacuum lines and the line running from the "t" to the turbo nipple did not have the restrictor pill inside of the hose. Therefore thinking that could be the issue I replace the hoses with the stock ones I bought from Subaru, however after doing that I am stilling having the same issue...
The car also seems to have somewhat of a rough idle.....

I don't know wether to replace the solenoid or not because I feel if the solenoid was bad it would throw the code all the time.

Any suggestion, ideas and or knowledge would be awesome! Thanks for all your time!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Auto
224 Posts
Sounds like a sticking wastegate actuator or a bad solenoid. See if you can find any information on testing the wastegate actuator, perhaps with compressed air or moving it by hand.

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
409 Posts
Make sure the hose that is being used is ‘vacuum’ hose (i.e. won’t collapse under vacuum).

Ensure it is also the correct internal diameter (should match the I.D. of any of the hard lines).

Confirm that there is also a vacuum damper between the solenoid and actuator. These help reduce boost spikes (see photo for example).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts