Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone. after leaving my forester for 4 weeks without driving apparently one of my mufflers stopped working. the other side is fine. could it be some dirts got into the muffler and dried? was working fine before.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
That was my question as well.. If it's that there is no apparent exhaust coming out of it, it may well be blocked.
That would take a lot of dirt. Were you wading the car through a mud bog? Otherwise unlikely.
Rodents on the other hand could have built condos in your exhaust system in less time.
Since the dual exhaust is actually a single exhaust with two outlets, it won't take much blockage for the exhaust to take the easy open path.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks everyone. what chemical should i use to clean the interior of that particular muffler? i dont see anything blocking tha main passage when i see it from behind. will take it out and try to clean it when i get some spare time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did you come to the conclusion that one isn't working?
there is absolutely nothing coming out from 1 of the mufflers. was working just fine before. i drive mostly in remote places where water and mud are constant.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You have a manifold on each head, since the car runs you can rule them out as an issue. Your problem must be after where they meet under the car. Trace that pipe from the muffler forward. On my 2010 that's a very short section.

·
Super Moderator
35,470 Posts
@Bovka I see you're located in Asia, Mongolia & you listed your model year as 2008, which in the States... USDM would be a 2009. No dual exhaust in 2008 USDM Foresters.

Looking at the exhaust diagram below, not a whole lot there, other than the muffler. Any chance something... insects or rodents got in there & built a nest?

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@2.5x_sleeper thanks for your input. mine is japanese model . 3rd generation japanese models started in 2008 until 2013. so mine is 2008 model SH5 2.0L engine :D thanks again everyone i will have a look at it today and see what the story is.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok guys just finished checking and one of the 2 pipe lines that goes seperate ways from the main pipe is not blowing. tried blocking the working(left side) pipe and brought RPM high but didnt fix the issue. have to disassemble the rear pipe and see when i get a chance. by the way what is inside the chamber in the middle?

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've had the baffles inside the muffler collapse and block it. I would assume the same is inside the mid pipe resonator. Maybe all you need is a new resonator.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok guys i have found and fixed the issue. it was baffles inside the mufflers blocked the mid section and i blew it out and all good now. hair like stuff :d thanks everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts