Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester Base
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the oil sensor near the right bank VVT solenoid. I torqued to the spec 12.5 ft lbs. I used a Teflon thread locker, has anyone used this material for oil sensors?
Tin Liquid Paint Fluid Gas

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
674 Posts
I replaced the left side sensor (switch) for the AVL on my 2010 Impreza shortly before trading it in. I didn't use any sealer. It sealed just fine without it. There may have been some pre applied thread sealer on it, I can't recall.

But I have used that on other things oil related without any troubles. There is supposedly a Teflon sealant specifically for use with oil, but I have not had any issues using the regular stuff.

It is probably a better choice than using Teflon tape, as that might interfere with the grounding of the switch.

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
1,009 Posts
That is not a 'thread locker', it is a thread sealer. It is most often used to seal threads in like hydraulic systems. There is a trick to not contaminating your system with this type of thing, ensure the first couple of threads inserted are bare. If you put sealant all the way to the end, you run the risk of contaminating your system.

One of my little secrets is to use similar product on bolts to prevent seizing.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,902 Posts
Teflon tape does not hold up well to oil. I use Threebond 1215. Great for the pcv valve, diff plugs and any oil contacted parts. Teflon tape just disintegrates after a while from the oil.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,981 Posts
@Theseus161 I'm under the impression Teflon thread sealing tape is impervious to gas & oil. I normally use the yellow Teflon thread sealing tape, which is "double density" & is often labeled as "Gas type". Teflon tape.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2009 Forester Base
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I will check for continuity from the sensor body to the head before starting the car. And keep an eye on the threads for leaking over time. I bought the new unit from the dealership, discounted it was $25, autozone sells for 15, gas anyone used duralast sensors?

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
674 Posts
I paid $15 from Advance, but I didn't really have the car for more than a month before I traded it in after that. So no long term results...

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
1,009 Posts
The problem with almost all inexpensive sensors is durability. This is a pretty harsh environment and the device works all the time. The money is in durable construction and accuracy under harsh conditions.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
674 Posts
This is basically a pressure switch. The biggest issue with both the cheap ones and OEM is they leak and occasionally the contact goes bad.
It is exactly the same switch that Chrysler used for the idiot light in the dash.

In this application, it only confirms to the PCM that the solenoid valve changed state.

I changed mine both because it was leaking oil, and it was beginning to randomly fail to make contact. I didn't want a CEL when I traded it.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
@2.5x_sleeper
Teflon tape in my experience using it has never held up for engines where you have oil and heat. It just doesn’t last long. An example is the pcv valve. The FSM calls out for liquid gasket.
Threebond 1215, which is oil and heat resistant.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,981 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester Base
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I don’t use any Teflon tape on oil sensors.
I use Threebond 1215 liquid sealant.
Let me know how Teflon tape holds up after a year or more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts