Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester X
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2009 forester X.
Valve cover gaskets/tube seals replaced and now the car won’t start.
Had to loosen the bottom motor mounts to get covers off and during that time the motor moved about 1/2” forward. Got the mounts back in place but car won’t start now.
Has compression, fuel pressure, and spark. No check engine light.
Tries to crank just won’t fire.
It was starting with no issues before.
Plugs and wires are new. Battery less than year old.

I’m out of ideas.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,013 Posts
Try a shot of starting fluid. That confirms whether it is mechanical or fuel.

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
525 Posts
How do you know it has spark?

When you say it "tries to crank", do you mean it cranks or do you mean it tries and fails to crank or cranks too slow or not long enough?

·
Registered
2009 Forester X
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It tries to crank and fails. New plugs. was driving with them for the last few weeks. Coil pack and wires were replaced last year. Used multimeter to test pack and wires. Took out plugs and hooked up wires to see spark on block.

tried starting fluid. Same result.

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
525 Posts
Someone recently had a similar perplexing situation. He found the problem as a loose connection in the immobilizer system.

·
Registered
2009 FXT
167 Posts
You still haven't clarified "tries to crank"
Tries to crank, but doesn't crank, means the engine starter does not turn the engine over.

Won't fire means the engine is turning over but is not starting.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 Forester X
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You still haven't clarified "tries to crank"
Tries to crank, but doesn't crank, means the engine starter does not turn the engine over.

Won't fire means the engine is turning over but is not starting.

turning over and not firing.
Dash lights up like normal.

·
Registered
2009 FXT
167 Posts
turning over and not firing.
Dash lights up like normal.
That eliminates the immobilizer.

Check the cam position sensor is firmly connected, located on driver side at the front of the valve cover. You may have had to disconnect it the remove valve cover.

Also confirm sparkplug wires are connected to correct cylinders.
Your coil on left of throttle body, top right goes to cylinder 2, bottom right is cylinder 4.
Top left is cylinder 1, bottom goes to cylinder 3.

Cylinders are LH side 1/3 (front to back). RH side 2/4 (front to back).

I had these crossed once because some else had the wires crossed in their holding brackets from the coil to the cylinders.

·
Registered
525 Posts
His car is turning over so it's not immobilizer issue

The other thread reported that he could crank the engine for 2-3 seconds before the engine stopped cranking.

·
Registered
2009 FXT
167 Posts
The other thread reported that he could crank the engine for 2-3 seconds before the engine stopped cranking.
Ok, ya I was assuming it would crank but not start, thinking if it only cranked for a second or 2 he would note that.

So is the car cranking over for 3seconds plus?

·
Registered
2009 FXT
167 Posts
If immobilizer is active the car will crank for 1-2 seconds then it will stop and will not turn over again until the key is cycled to off and back to start again, then will crank for only 1-2seconds again.
I've had this scenario many times, before I program a key successfully

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don't have a list of symptoms for any model year in case the immobilizer is actively disrupting a start or has failed and is preventing start. I would be expect a specific indication to be present throughout all model years that would prompt one to say, "That's the immobilizer."

In this case, there appears to be no spark, given the test with starting fluid. This is a contradiction to what was stated in the original post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The negative battery wire may not connected to the engine block after you moved the mounts.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 6 speed manual
5 Posts
I have a 2009 forester X.
Valve cover gaskets/tube seals replaced and now the car won’t start.
Had to loosen the bottom motor mounts to get covers off and during that time the motor moved about 1/2” forward. Got the mounts back in place but car won’t start now.
Has compression, fuel pressure, and spark. No check engine light.
Tries to crank just won’t fire.
It was starting with no issues before.
Plugs and wires are new. Battery less than year old.

I’m out of ideas.

Any suggestions?
Kinda basic, but are you sure there are no unconnected vacuum/other hoses to the air cleaner assembly?

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester X, Auto
4 Posts
IF there is a no spark condition, it could be one of the 15a fuses located under the glovebox, behind the passenger front dash. You can check the wiring schematic. I recently rebuilt the engine in my 2011 and was completely perplexed with a no start condition. Finally found a single 15a fuse so located that was the issue.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Automatic
229 Posts
How about a good ol' fashioned crank position sensor (CPS)? Maybe in your moving the engine you broke or disconnected the lead from the CPS. Or, it just failed. There is also a cam position sensor that can, if failed, prevent the engine from starting. I would check the wiring connections for both of these sensors. If everything looks good then possibly one of the sensors has failed. My guess would be the CPS as what you're experiencing ...the engine turns over, there is ignition but no light-off ...is classic CPS failure. The CPS has to inform the engine management computer the crankshaft is turning before it will allow fuel flow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts