Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 forester. I swapped out the engine which had failed on this car for a jdm engine.
following the instructions from the dealership service dept., I used wiring harness and intake manifold from the old engine. when I attempt to start the new engine, dash lights up as it should, but all I get is a series of electrical clicking sounds on the right side of the engine front. no starter sounds.

Hym

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0 XS
403 Posts
Is it 2.0 XS? 2.0 XT turbo? which version? AFAIK it is not trivial to connect all plugs to the ECM. BTW, are you using the old ECM or the new one? I think everything should be swapped. But I am no expert in no way. Some others hopefull will chime in.

·
Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
365 Posts
Starter systems are really unintelligent and should work with what you've done. This makes me think its a battery or battery connection problem. A loose connection will draw the few dozen amps it takes to run the lights, fans, etc, but the 600A peak starter draw browns the system out. Tighten the battery terminals and check the battery voltage (on the clamps, not the posts) while trying to crank

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Starter systems are really unintelligent and should work with what you've done. This makes me think its a battery or battery connection problem. A loose connection will draw the few dozen amps it takes to run the lights, fans, etc, but the 600A peak starter draw browns the system out. Tighten the battery terminals and check the battery voltage (on the clamps, not the posts) while trying to crank
On both the old engine and the one I installed, ground straps from body to engine were shot. I also located the starter ground cable on the top bolt for the engine/bellhousing, would any of that make a difference? I now have the battery charging.

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,553 Posts
On both the old engine and the one I installed, ground straps from body to engine were shot. I also located the starter ground cable on the top bolt for the engine/bellhousing, would any of that make a difference? I now have the battery charging.
Of course it would , No connection =No Starty Party

·
Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
365 Posts
I'm not certain what factory is for your specific vehicle, but a very common choice is beneath a bolt/nut that holds the starter to the bellhousing/engine directly to the battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
new ground straps for both sides of the engine, new battery, she started right up. Many thanks for the input and guidance, far better than the " my guys only make money when they are working on cars" that I got from the assistant service manager t the subaru dearship.

James

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
981 Posts
I did some major engine work on my 2009 XT last year and had all sorts of problems with it not wanting to start.

Some things I discovered in that process: if you don't have the plug that goes to the Intake harness plugged in properly: no start!

There's a ground wire on the fuel-rail (on the 2.5 XT).If that one isn't good and tight: No start...

And yes: A fully charged battery should help. Make sure the voltage isn't dropping too much when you're trying to start it. If the voltage drops below 10V while you're trying to start the engine, you should have the battery tested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Starting right up and idling well is not the same as running well...on a test drive, I noticed extra engine noise and some vibration. I got an engine code: P0028, which concerns the ECU. Can I reset this?

Hymodyne

1 - 10 of 10 Posts