Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, this is my first post. I tried using the AC for the first time this year, and noticed the absence of the usual subtle "click" sound, and that the cabin never cooled.
Since I was already in the car, I turned off the engine, plugged the two green test mode connectors under the dash and popped the hood open. The clutch did not engage. I checked the relay and it's it's fine with negligible resistance when energized. I then got out the manifold gauge and got a nice big 0 for low and high.

I obviously have a leak. I'll be making the trip tomorrow to get some refrigerant and dye and some insurance Schrader valves and o rings... but in the mean time I'm just curious if anyone knows if the clutch gets disabled with an empty system even in test mode. Otherwise I'm looking at two problems, leak + clutch. Thanks all in advance.

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
757 Posts
Chances are your ac clutch would be fine. But that not "clicking on" does worry me.
You can test fog the clutch engagement, I forget how, but a quick youtube search can show you how.

You might save a few bucks if you have a local ac repair shop do a reman on it. Not sure how lucky if any you can find one. Either way prepare for the worse, expect the best. Good luck.

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
127 Posts
I don't know about the 2009, I have a 2010 US model. Here is an interesting page from my service manual. Note the lower "inoperative" range of the compressor. This would be around 25.7 psi.

As far as the compressor clutch, you can test with a 12 v lead. Engine off preferred. :LOL:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts