1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x Rusty Bucket
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No Brakes: blown line
The Rusty Bucket Saga Continues.
Out getting groceries. Making finaly stop and the brake pedal went to the floor. Thankfully in a parking lot. Limped to a parking spot. Found a puddle of fluid in front of the passenger rear wheel. My 2005 had a corrosion recall checking now to see if the 2009 has the same recall. Maybe I will not need to do this work. I will dig into this tomorrow. Its 26 degrees and dark already.

The Rest of the Rusty Bucket Saga Below:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My vehicles was covered under he brake line corrosion recall. The recall was completed in 2014. I also read and article on Edmunds.com that stated several customers had lost their brakes are having the recall completed and it was due to "incomplete instructions" which led to the recall not being completed properly. I will be calling Subaru tomorrow. Fingers crossed they can get the line quickly and its covered.

Has anyone had the recall done they lost their brake and have Subaru cover the brake line repair also?

Thanks

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 X 4eat, Bilstein B6/Swift Springs, STI 22mm rear swaybar, '06 WRX brakes.
92 Posts
Edit- sorry I misread that. I’m pretty sure if they performed the recall you are out of luck, it’s simply a rusted part now not a design flaw in their eyes (although those really really should be corrosion proof, that was the point of the recall). Fingers crossed they cover it- don’t share your cars name with them :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Mrfox I certainly have a feeling you are correct. I'm going to take the cover off in the morning and see what's actually leaking. The connector or one of the lines. Certainly will not sure the Rusty Bucket bame with them. Hoping to get some Subaru Grace since I just bought the car and it also needs the airbag recall done. My 2011 Impreza needs the airbag done but it's no longer drivable. They send me an email weekly and actual paper mail every 2 weeks for the last 3 months. Offering al kinds of incentives, free rental, oil change, inspection..... fingers crossed

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 X 4eat, Bilstein B6/Swift Springs, STI 22mm rear swaybar, '06 WRX brakes.
92 Posts
Do you have the paperwork from the recall by any chance? Some of the recalls concluded “no replacement needed” while others indeed replaced them. If they did not replace them under the recall inspection might be a good argument that they should have been replaced (and therefore should cover them now?).

On my car, a 2010, they “did” the recall by inspecting it and determined no replacement necessary and coated the lines with some undercoating spray. If those fail later I’d definitely argue they were liable.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no paperwork. Bought the car about 7 weeks ago. Recall was done in New York 7 years ago. I'm in Ohio. Car was sold at auctions. I will call and see what the say. Then call Subaru of America. Safety is safety. and if they say no that's what happens when you buy a used car. I personally hate when the Stealerships work on my car. Only had 2 repairs done in 29 years of driving at dealership. 1st one good my dad ran the shop. 2nd one was a
2010 Impreza with 17,000 miles one of the Bearings at the output shaft seized up. The 5MT was removed and the clutch was never the same. I took it back several times. I even got the service manager in a new 2010 with 500 miles on it and a used 2009 with 10000 miles . Both felt normal. the service manager agreed with me. Took the car back and still insisted everything was find. I traded the car in at 21000 miles for a 2011 Impreza Outback sport with 1.4 miles on it. only lost 1800 from my purchase price to my trade in at 21000 miles. I call that a win but it was a PIA.....

Anyway I will call in the morning and see what they say. thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Good luck!

Yeah I find dealerships to be very hit or miss- there's one by me that has techs and service managers who all have various modded STI's and old school well maintained models, and have such a love for the brand; fantastic place to get work done (the people really take pride in their work and stand by it 100%).

The other one closer to my house is an absolute nightmare. After the service manager tells you what's wrong, you have to go to parts and order them yourself before they will work on it. Then they [email protected]# whatever they touch and shrug when its not right. Been there once, never again...

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
837 Posts
From some of the videos I've seen on youtube on the South Main Auto channel, I wouldn't buy ANY vehicle that has spent time in NY... (apparently, they use salt all year. To combat ice and snow during the winter, and to keep the dust down on gravel roads in the summer)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bought the car in ohio. Had no idea it came from NY. Plan is to sell it once I rebuild the engine on my 2005 OBX.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Maine is worse, super high concentrate brine spray everywhere. Have to pay for a fluid film application every fall.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well spoke with the dealer, then SOA. Then the service manager. It's going to get interesting tomorrow. I tried to take the plastic skid plate down. The bolts are completely rusted. I had to use a 13mm to wiggle back and forth knock the rust off the bolts to get a 12mm 6point on them. And then they would not turn at all. I did not want to break any of them off. Hopefully, the PB blaster I coated them in helps the Technician tomorrow. Driving 23 miles with 25% brakes and the hand brake is very exciting. Thankfully it was 95% highway and only 4 traffic lights. I dont recommend anyone follow in my footsteps. I have had and interesting life background and this was low risk in comparison.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SOA comes through in a pinch

Just got my good news. Bought my Forester Dec 2 2020. So 6 weeks ago. The brake line blew 2 nights ago. Limped it to the dealer. The corrosion recall was completed in 2014. This leak is in at exact area.

Just got a call from the dealer. SOA is going to replace it under their Goodwill Program and I can pick up a rental car tomorrow. Now off to SOA to send a thank you letter. 5 Subarus later, 18 years and over 400,000 miles driven. This is the first thing I have asked for from Subaru. I'm grateful.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Excellent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts