Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I’m a new owner and so far love my new/used forester. It’s in great condition with 102210 miles. I know I need to replace the main gasket if it leaks. So far no leaks though. Also I’m past the timing belt replace. A mechanic said to wait until 130,000 miles as it does not look worn and the printing on the belt looks great. Another mechanic told me I bought a crummy car as it know for gasket problems. The local dealer said he’d do the work for $2457.00. Please could you give me advice. Thanks. Carolyn

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
558 Posts
$2457 for a timing belt replacement? That seems like quite the rip-off.

Even doing both head-gaskets and the timing belt for that amount seems like a rip-off.

I did both head-gaskets + timing belt in my garage on our 2009 X. By myself without help. It took me 9 hours from start to finish. And I'm NOT a pro! (that was 15K ago. No issues. No more oil-leaks)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Gus. Are you close and want to earn $?
it might have been the main seal. Guess they changed that the next year. No garage here and gravel driveway. I’ll look around for better prices. Take care.:cool:

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
378 Posts
Stick with the first mechanic. If its only seeping a bit try high mileage synthetic oil. As for parts and pricing, you can look online for genuine Subaru or quality aftermarket at a place like RockAuto.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,227 Posts
Timing belt can also fail as a consequence of failure of any rotating device that touches it — water pump, idlers, tensioner. You're a bit short of the factory recommendation of 105k miles, but already well beyond the recommended 105 month point. Failure can be fatal to the engine. The job should involve replacement of all those components.

Head gasket is repair, not scheduled maintenance. By the time of your model year, those problems had pretty much gone away.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
558 Posts
Thank you Gus. Are you close and want to earn $?
it might have been the main seal. Guess they changed that the next year. No garage here and gravel driveway. I’ll look around for better prices. Take care.:cool:
Despite is showing a US flag with my profile (probably because I am working from home, but on a US based VPN), I live in Canada (about 4 hours north of the US border)
So, I'm not likely close...

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
616 Posts
Hi. I’m a new owner ... with 102210 miles.
A) I know I need to replace the main gasket if it leaks. So far no leaks though.
B) ... the timing belt replace. A mechanic said to wait ... it does not look worn and the printing on the belt looks great.
A) Don't fix the head gaskets before you have a severe leak, so no work needed here.
B) an 11 yr old car with new looking timing belt means belt has already been replaced, so no work needed here either. Look again at 200,000 miles for a new one

So you can just drive it and enjoy :)

·
Registered
2009 Forester
75 Posts
It should be checked even if the timing belt looks new. Maybe the belt was replaced and not the other components. It is the other components that will get you in trouble. Has the head gaskets been replaced? Know the car history?

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
1,789 Posts
When some shops replace a timing belt, they place a sticker in a conspicuous place in the engine compartment or on the underneath side of the hood. Look for a sticker. However, a sticker probably won't tell you if associated components were replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts