Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a 2009 Automatic Subaru Forester here in Australia. First time poster and this looked like the perfect place to post :)

My Forester still has the stock head unit with the 6 cd, radio and AUX input. I would like to replace this with an in-dash navigation unit that also has bluetooth and the potential for connecting a reverse camera down the track. I don't mind if the navigation is stock or branded maps but I think it would be better if it was also compatible with Google Maps?

I've done a fair bit of searching and it seems like there a a huge amount of options around but not a whole lot of reviews on how good they are once installed.

Just wondering if anyone has any personal recommendations or success stories of head unit replacements that have worked for them? I obviously would prefer not to spend an arm and a leg for the replacement but I am not putting any budget restrictions on yet as I would like to hear about any potential options.

Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I’ve installed and used pioneer, Kenwood, and Sony. The Kenwood was my favorite due to the user interface but the pioneer is a very close second. Don’t think you can go wrong with either.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've had good luck with Pioneer, but are you sure you need built in navigation?

Any new decent aftermarket radio will have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. With this, you do the navigation on your phone, rather than internal to the radio. Assuming you have a Android based phone, I think your default phone navigation would be Google Maps. I've got an iPhone, and a 4 year older Pioneer, so Apple CarPlay only seems to work fully with Apple Maps (not Google Maps or Waze).

Aftermarket radios with dedicated navigation are more expensive as they need a GPS receiver installed, and internal mapping software.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts