Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

341 - 359 of 359 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
34 Posts
2009 XT: 12,000 mile average

That's in about the worst conditions possible for mpg--about 80% city short hops (<5 miles), including Chicago winters where it barely warms up. Not great, but under the circumstances acceptable.

·
Registered
2008 Forester
3 Posts
Mileage - Forester 2009 2.0XS 5MT

Forester 2009 2.0XS 5MT here in Japan, just passed the 30,000 km mark. Again measured by the actual mileage driven, when they fill the tank - most of them from the same gasoline station.

Total average for 30,002 km, mixture of highway and hills/ local roads was 9.4 km/l or 26.7 mpg.

Best figure was 13.7 km/l or 39 mpg on a 650 km highway trip from Tokyo to Kobe, steady 100+ km/h all the way, worst has been 6.5 km/l or 18.5 mpg for a week or so of local town or hill driving.

Pretty happy with "Scoobie Two", my second Subaru; my first was a Leone Turbo back in 1984!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
UPDATE
36,000 miles on my XT now and still averaging about 22 running around my small town and country roads.
Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays saw two 1000 mile roadtrips which worked out at 24.5 and 24.4 running an average of 77 mph through Atlanta, Chatanooga, Nashville and almost to Memphis and back each time.
Still happy.... :biggrin:

·
Registered
2005 ForesterXT premeium
81 Posts
my XT does 26 on the [email protected] than my 3.3 litre, 3700 pound SVX..around the county, my XT does 21-22 tops. I am thinking that Subaru should really get serious about making a Great automatic box..the 4eat is waiting to blow from the first mile put on it..Also, with the good XT power avaialble, Subi should gear the car for something like 28 MPH/1000RPM in top gear..it has the power to pull that gear, just dosen't have the tranny yet.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
4 Posts
I'm confused and frustrated by my current mpg issue.
I have a 2009 X Premium/Weather.
Aero cross bars and 2 Yakima Forklift racks.

Currently at about 60,000 miles.

For the first year and a half I would average 24.3 on the highway, at 80+ mph.
Tooling around at 60 I'd average 25 or so.

Then, two months ago I got new tires, Michelin Primacy, and had an oil change where I let the guys add a fuel additive and and oil additive. (I had a weak moment.)

The next day, I noticed I was getting 18 city and 20-21 highway. This also coincided with our weather turning cold and it's basically been between -20F and 20F ever since.
Warmed up to the 40's today, and I'm seeing 22.8 tops.

I'm also getting about 270 on the tank before the light goes on, and before it was 350 or so.

This is frustrating because too many variables changed at once, so I can't say the crap the oil change people added did anything, and I don't know if the better tires have that much more rolling resistance, and I don't know how much cold air effects a computerized fuel control system (seems like the previous winter there wasn't as much of a drop).

So, I don't know whether I should take it to the dealership and let them poke around ($$$) and document the problem in their computer, since I'm kind of considering trading in on a new '11 anyways. If they think/know there is an issue it will likely hurt my trade in value, but I'm not sure I'm in a spot to get a new car and the current situation is costing me a lot of money since I drive 100 miles a day.

Any thoughts?
Thanks, -Kris

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
...I'm confused and frustrated by my current mpg issue. I have a 2009 X... Currently at about 60,000 miles... two months ago I got new tires, Michelin Primacy, and had an oil change where I let the guys add a fuel additive and and oil additive... The next day, I noticed I was getting 18 city and 20-21 highway. This also coincided with our weather turning cold and it's basically been between -20F and 20F ever since.... I don't know if the better tires have that much more rolling resistance, and I don't know how much cold air effects a computerized fuel control system...
I have a 2008 X with Michelin Primacy tires, and get 29-31 mpg on Interstate tanks holding the speed under 65 mph.

It is not clear how you know after one day that you are getting 18 city and 20-21 highway. This sounds like a reading from the computer, which is not accurate because it is either instant or shows from start to stop of engine, but does not span many miles, trips, days, etc. It is not a good average.

Nevertheless, in your average 0 degrees F temperature, 18 mpg city would be expected for short hop errands. This is due to cold starts, engine cooling off between runs, not being at full temperature all the time.

However, cold temperatures should not much affect the mileage of sustained highway driving. Your 21 mpg highway reading from the computer is likely not an accurate representation for the reasons mentioned above, or is mixed with too much city driving.

Before taking the car to the dealer, wait until you can run through a tank on highway trips, and divide the miles by the gallons.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Just completed a trip from northern VA up to ME and back. The trip up included wandering through the Allegheny Mountains in PA, the Green Mountains in VT, and the White Mountains in NH. The return trip was down to Newburgh, NY, and then back through the Alleghenies via Scranton, PA.

We were fully loaded, and we managed an average of 29.57 mpg (calculated, U.S.; 7.95 l/100km) over 1,834 miles, using ~88 AKI fuel. The a/c / defroster was on ~38% of the trip.

Not bad! :icon_cool:
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
Just completed a trip from northern VA up to ME and back. The trip up included wandering through the Allegheny Mountains in PA, the Green Mountains in VT, and the White Mountains in NH. The return trip was down to Newburgh, NY, and then back through the Alleghenies via Scranton, PA. We were fully loaded, and we managed an average of 29.57 mpg... over 1,834 miles... The a/c / defroster was on ~38% of the trip. Not bad!
Last August I made a similar trip from Kentucky to Maine and back, with the exact same mpg. Lightly loaded with me and a passenger. The trip was Interstate to Albany NY, then 2-lane across the Green and White Mountains. An average of 29.5 mpg over 2,563 miles. The AC was on all the time.
See August 2010 at:
http://aatherton06.home.insightbb.com/Forester/For_MPG.htm

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
Short 400 mile (round trip) yesterday + today. 75mph (cruise ctrl) which translates to about 3100rpm in OD with my manual trans. AC on fan speed #2, max/recirc button on. 28.8 avg mpg indicated on the dash info ctr. Outside air temp shown as high as 99 F yesterday mid afternoon and as low as 91 F this morning heading back home. This is on E10 fuel (90% gasoline, 10% ethanol) 87 octane. Flying solo (only me aboard). Conventional 5W30 oil in the crankcase.

·
Registered
2009 Forester Automatic
2 Posts
I just got back from a trip from Minneapolis to Rockford, IL, and back with stops in Wisconsin Dells both ways. I filled the tank when I left, had two kids with me, and a soft carrier on the roof, and the first tank averaged 27.8 mpg. In Wisconsin Dells, I decided to try filling with 93 octane at a Shell station to see if it made a difference, and unfortunately, the second tank only averaged 25.9 mpg. :(

I'd unloaded and reloaded the carrier, since we were transporting a child and her belongings to her father, and while the items in the carrier were lighter, their profile was perhaps less streamlined, so maybe that was part of the problem. When back in WI Dells, I refilled with regular unleaded and removed the carrier (since there was less stuff and one less person) before heading home. Pulling into my driveway, the computer read 31.8 mpg, which is pretty awesome, and my overall average for the trip was 27 mpg.

I did put in a bottle of Lucas gas treatment last week and saw my gas mileage increase immediately. I'd been averaging 21.6 mpg for my commute to work (40% city/60% hwy), but two days after adding the gas treatment, I slid into my parking space at work with 25.1 mpg on the computer for that tank.

I had been willing to sacrifice a little mileage to increase safety and comfort (traction on my Mazda5 was so lousy when it snowed or sleeted I'd avoid driving if I could), but 23-25 mpg was my regular range with the Mazda, so I'm getting the same kind of mileage and am worlds happier with the vehicle.

·
Registered
2016 Forester X Premium CVT
123 Posts
I was on vacation last week and passed 50k miles on my 2009. Did a lot of highway driving and my MPG displayed 29.4 and 29.7 MPG for the longest time at end of the week. I had not reset the trip odometer over the course of 3 fill-ups. My own calculation after the second fill-up was about 28.5 MPG.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5 Premium Crappy 4EAT
259 Posts
A few weeks back we had the ECM reflashed for the emissions update, I was hopeful that we would see better mileage. Not much. This is my wifes car, and she has a heavy foot. Anyway, we went on a family road trip this past w/end and when I got in to drive on Friday, I noticed the mpg was at 24.7, which is unheard of for her car, even with about 3/4 of gas, as this was. She said that she filled up at a Mobil station (I typically use Sunoco.). We finished off that tank at about 26 mpg. This was mostly 2-lane hilly roads, 50-63 mph. The 2nd tank was Sunoco with mostly highway driving at 72 mph. We averaged 27 mpg on that one. The last tank was the return trip home with mostly 2-lane, 50-63 mph driving, on Sunoco gas (10% ethanol), and it is currently around 25.8 mpg.

I do notice that since the reflash, the MPG does not fluctuate as much as it used to. Before I could shut the car off at 25 MPG, then restart it and it would be around 22 MPG.

I do know that the '09 2.5 NT AT really likes the slow accelerations, and a light foot on the gas. If you put your foot into it, you pay. This is so unlike my '05 2.5X NT MT.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
A few weeks back we had the ECM reflashed for the emissions update, I was hopeful that we would see better mileage....
I received the same notice from Subaru to have the emissions update done on my 2008, but will wait for the 30K service to have it done.
I am curious -- what is it about the notice that made you think it would improve your mileage?

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5 Premium Crappy 4EAT
259 Posts
Anything to do with emissions concerns me since this vehicle is PZEV for California, but my gripe is which is worse, burning more fuel, or have higher emissions? Anyhow, I have been very gas conscious with this car (2009) since I bought it new and saw the crappy mpg compared to my 2005.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
It was the soft carrier than was the culprit. The Forester doesn't excatly present a svelt form to the wind to begin with, and any accessories strapped to the roof just present more aero dynamic drag to the slipstream when going down the highway. For what these cars are and what they can do, however, I think the fuel economy is very acceptable.

I just got back from a trip from Minneapolis to Rockford, IL, and back with stops in Wisconsin Dells both ways. I filled the tank when I left, had two kids with me, and a soft carrier on the roof, and the first tank averaged 27.8 mpg. In Wisconsin Dells, I decided to try filling with 93 octane at a Shell station to see if it made a difference, and unfortunately, the second tank only averaged 25.9 mpg. :(

I'd unloaded and reloaded the carrier, since we were transporting a child and her belongings to her father, and while the items in the carrier were lighter, their profile was perhaps less streamlined, so maybe that was part of the problem. When back in WI Dells, I refilled with regular unleaded and removed the carrier (since there was less stuff and one less person) before heading home. Pulling into my driveway, the computer read 31.8 mpg, which is pretty awesome, and my overall average for the trip was 27 mpg.

I did put in a bottle of Lucas gas treatment last week and saw my gas mileage increase immediately. I'd been averaging 21.6 mpg for my commute to work (40% city/60% hwy), but two days after adding the gas treatment, I slid into my parking space at work with 25.1 mpg on the computer for that tank.

I had been willing to sacrifice a little mileage to increase safety and comfort (traction on my Mazda5 was so lousy when it snowed or sleeted I'd avoid driving if I could), but 23-25 mpg was my regular range with the Mazda, so I'm getting the same kind of mileage and am worlds happier with the vehicle.

·
Registered
2011 XS AT
78 Posts
Might sound a little newb on this one. But how do you figure out exactly how many litres of petrol you've used?

I can def used Trip A / B to work out the kms. But just looking at where the arrows pointing on the Fuel tank only gives me an estimate (i.e. halfway = 30 litres used).

Cheers!

·
Registered
2009 Forester Automatic
2 Posts
2009 Forester NA Mileage

I have been consistently getting 24.3 mpg running Costco 87 octane (10% ethanol) here in Southern California. My driving is every day, primarily open freeway with about 30% suburban roads. The California fuel blends tend to drive small SUV's crazy but my Forester does well on it and has lived on a steady diet of Costco 87 octane and Mobile 1 for 50,000 miles. I am up in the high desert, average altitude about 2600 ft and loads of very hot, open roads. So far, my Forester is more than up to the task. :woohoo:

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
nrringlee, I too have noticed a definite tendency of my '09 running better on no-name generic gasoline than on the big brand names or "top tier" fuels. Strange but true. I don't think the boxer engine likes a lot of fancy detergent additives in the fuel, and since the generic fuels tend to have the bare minimum amounts of federally mandated detergency additives, that may have something to do with it who knows.

341 - 359 of 359 Posts