Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first Subaru experience. My previous vehicles were Ford Expedition, Ford Taurus Wagon, and the Ford Freestyle. Our other vehicle: 2019 Jeep Wrangler. We live in Southern Wisconsin, a Midwest USA location. "Millie" a 2009 Forester 2.5x manual was a Southern California car before arriving in Wisconsin last year.

After purchasing I jumped on these forums and subsequently learned about the importance of replacing the timing belt and keeping an eye out for head gasket problems.

I didn't own this car even a week, and I got it into my mechanic who replaced a timing belt, a/c belt, and related components, in the nick of time. The belt had cracks and two of the inner nodules were cracking and the belt was in need of replacement. Total cost $741 but I get the cash discount price of $680. All that is cheaper in my mind than a replacement engine. So thank you to the forum members suggesting a replacement. I also put a new battery since I accidentally drained and deadlined the old one dated 2011, during an initial vacuuming when I must have clicked the rear hatch light into the on position.

The vehicle has new brake pads all around and tires. Next week, I plan to get an alignment done. Then fluids drained/replaced save the coolant which was just done when the timing belt was replaced.

Katzkin leather seat kit on order. My teen son and I will install this as a part of his homeschool shop class. Currently, Millie has factory cloth seats. The previous owner had dog/dogs and the middle front console is in need of replacing the vinyl material? as this looks like it had been scraped/chewed. My son and I will do some outside detailing too. The subie needs some serious cleaning, polish and wax attention.

I can't be playing Metallica through the current speakers, I cried a little on the way home today from the mechanic listening to music through the stock speakers. Next, currently shopping for double din head unit (probably with back up camera), speakers, Bluetooth, DVD and steering wheel interface. I'll probably call Crutchfield as my radio replacing experience is limited to changing out an 8 track for a cassette. My needs are decent sound, Bluetooth and maybe a backup camera.

I'll post photos as work is accomplished.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome to the forum and your new life as a Subaru owner. After buying their first Subaru, most people don’t go back to ordinary cars.

While it may seem like you are putting a lot into it just after getting it, the work you are doing is simply bringing it up to the standard you deserve or customizing it to make it your own.

As for the battery, I am surprised it lasted that long. They don’t last as long as they used to. Better to replace now then later.

Congratulations on your new addition.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
SubaruSpouse
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing