Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
09 forester
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The right side inner tie rod needs to be replaced on my Forester. When I look at the parts diagrams I don't see a listing for a locking tab washer. Does the Forester use one? I haven't taken mine apart yet.

Anyone use Moog inner tie rods?

these are the parts listings:
Steering Gear & Linkage for 2009 Subaru Forester | The Subaru Source

From Subaru's site:
POWER STEERING GEAR BOX. GEAR BOX.. 2009 Subaru Forester 2.5L 4AT X | Subaru Parts Online

There no call out for a locking washer with the bend over tabs.

·
Registered
09 forester
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, I saw that sheet also, but later on page PS-29, the attached figure is shown. It shows the washer. The figure PS-00094 may be a stock photo showing grease that wasnt updated for this MY. I'll check with the dealer.

If there is no washer, and no grooves to accommodate a washer, I'll go with a MOOG and save $15. I'm trying to confirm before I start the work, I'm expecting after 10 years of rust I may have to cut the outer rod from the inner rod, so it will be a point of no return.

PS-21 and PS-22 infer there is no locking tab, but it is also not clear they are referring to the inner tie rod(s) either, but it seems to be the case. It looks like with the adjusting screw tightened so the rack will not move one then torques the tie rod to the rack to spec. After which the adjust screw is adjusted and tightened to specifications. See the instructions just above the image your are referring too.

Good Luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Premium 6-speed manual
177 Posts
PS-21 and PS-22 infer there is no locking tab, but it is also not clear they are referring to the inner tie rod(s) either, but it seems to be the case. It looks like with the adjusting screw tightened so the rack will not move one then torques the tie rod to the rack to spec. After which the adjust screw is adjusted and tightened to specifications. See the instructions just above the image your are referring too.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
09 forester
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called the dealer, the part dept said he didnt see a locking tab washer on his screen either, none are used on this MY.

I read sheet PS-29, I see what you are refering to, but I think the prior steps are for reassembling the control valve. If you just replacing the inner tie-rod, it looks like remove, replace and torque to 65.7 ft lbs.

Has anyone replaced tie rods on the 09 MY?

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
when i replaced my inner tie rods, they came with the locking washer on the assembly. Ordered from subarupartsforyou.com

It's just unscrew and screw the new one one. Need to pull the boots, so get new clamps/boots. And obviously you need the long tie rod tool.

·
Registered
09 forester
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when i replaced my inner tie rods, they came with the locking washer on the assembly. Ordered from subarupartsforyou.com

It's just unscrew and screw the new one one. Need to pull the boots, so get new clamps/boots. And obviously you need the long tie rod tool.
What year and model is your Forester?

·
Registered
09 forester
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
do you mean the tie rod from Subaru had the locking tab washer with the tie rod? I just ordered from local online dealer. Its $10 more than a Moog but probably worth it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Yep, I didn't have to order anything separate. I just got part 34160XA010 for 38.96 each side, as well as boot kit 34190FE030 for 29.66 which included both boots and all the bands. All from subaru as part of my entire suspension overhaul project.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I dug in the old parts pile and found the old tie rods but unfortunately looks like the old washers were chucked. Was hoping to show you what they looked like.

PS, make sure your outer tie rod boots look like theyre in good shape. If you're replacing the inner, you might as well spend a few bucks to replace a shabby looking outer at the same time since you'll need an alignment.

Attachments

·
Registered
09 forester
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, I didn't have to order anything separate. I just got part 34160XA010 for 38.96 each side, as well as boot kit 34190FE030 for 29.66 which included both boots and all the bands. All from subaru as part of my entire suspension overhaul project.
I picked up the rods and boots from the dealer yeasterday (you do online discounted order and pick up on WillCall). No washers were included in the tie rod assembly. The parts tech said they are not ues on MY09 and up.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Will be interested to see what you find when you pull yours. On mine, it was a crinkled looking lock washer. I dont remember it having tabs.

·
Registered
09 forester
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good news for me. I disconnected the tie rod end Saturday. There was no play in the inner rod, just normal motion in the joint. Pulling it, it didn't move axially, no clicking, no sense of wear that would make me change the rod. When I took the car in for tires, the local Firestone shop recommended changing the inner rod. I decided to leave it alone and return the parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you happen to notice if you had an locking washer on your current setup or not? I'm currently in the same predicament with my 2012 x Limited. Mine didn't have a lock washer when I took it off, and the parts diagram doesnt show one for my year but it just seems strange to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts