Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the wife’s 09 forester has had the rattle for far too long. From researching these are the common remedies:

1- cut the rattle or remove them all.
-little nervous about this due to work and how close the cats are to the flooring.

2- use hose/band metal clamps and or screws to tighten them up.
-this appears to be easier maybe even cheaper labor wise on myself.

for fighting the heat shields I had a question though. I’m changing the oil/rotating tires, and general inspection tomorrow. Would using that metal wire use in concrete for rebar that you twist with the little spinning hook tool work? I have a ton of that but I don’t mind getting band clamps. I just have to raise the vehicle and get a rough estimate of how big I need and where/how many. But curious if anyone used the metal wire or feel it will just loosen again ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
When my catalytic converter heat shield rattled, I initially hose clamped it but then have it removed as the clamps just reduced the sound, not eliminate it.

The other heat shields are still there and when they started making sounds, as well, I just used MrSubaru1387's method:

So the heat shields rattle because the fibreglass insulator between the exhaust and the heat shields disintegrate over time. With his method, you will just be replacing what was lost. I initially used steel wool, as in the video, but that will also disintegrate over time. Next time I will just plug those in with pieces of fibreglass exhaust wraps. If I discovered this method before, I may have just used it for the cat converter heat shield. Even with steel wool, the rattling disappeared. Cheers.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That video made the most sense vs cutting it off. We have a lot of de-icing fluid in the winter so I almost saw the heat shields as a somewhat sacrificial metal vs letting it hit the whole exhaust etc. I’m gonna try and get some measurements tonight when I do the oil/filter and tire rotation.

appreciate it. Just feel bad we’re remodeling and she’s put up with it for over a year now. So figured I’d “surprise” her and get it fixed like I should have a long time ago lol.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To close the thread it took about 1 minute to fix. It’s probably temporary but man felt silly for not doing this sooner.

like many my issue was where the manifolds from the engine meet at the Y into the exhaust. The rear most part of the heat shield maybe just a few inches behind the oil filter. I found a stainless metal screw and screwed into the small space between the shield and pipe. Checked it a week later and the screw has not moved. I will put a clamp there after I cut a notch for the band clamp. It has metal ears where the rusted bolts thread threw.

thankfully it was just the one piece that rattled the car is Soooo QUIET now lol. I have a small plastic piece in the trunk that I can bear rattle over bumps now so off to make this car whisper quiet now. I’ll get a pic if anyone wants

1 - 4 of 4 Posts