Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester
6 Posts
Awesome Fix!!

I agree with everyone, this is an AWESOME fix and it was much easier than I thought it would be. It took about an hour and that's just because I was being super deliberate to make sure I didn't screw anything up. The cable ends slipped off easier than I thought they would. Everything just popped off and popped back on with little if any hassle.

This is VERY exciting! No more "puddles" on my windshield because I forgot to change the vent off a defrost mode when I park. No more fiddling with venting and temperature just to defrost my windshield without freezing my *** off.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

-- 2011 Forester

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,608 Posts
Personally a bad idea. I can't tell you how many times my windows have fogged. (On cold damp mornings and in rain). I venture to say it has prevented an accident in the past 32 years that I have had this feature. To each his own.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X 5 MT
881 Posts
Personally a bad idea. I can't tell you how many times my windows have fogged. (On cold damp mornings and in rain). I venture to say it has prevented an accident in the past 32 years that I have had this feature. To each his own.
I made the modification a while ago. This morning, it was 47 and raining. No A/C was needed, just a bit of heat on the windshield and it stayed clear.

A/C is rarely needed. Usually a little heat and fresh air on the windshield is enough. If I had a car full of people and it was warm and raining out, then A/C would be appropriate - but not with fresh (100% humid) air coming in. If I want to dry out the interior I put it on A/C with recirculation (can't do that with the stock defrost setup).

As ZW says, all it takes is a button push to go back to the original defrost settings.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
771 Posts
The AC control unit is mounted to one of the dash trim pieces. (Shown in step 7)
This. :)

I made the modification a while ago. This morning, it was 47 and raining. No A/C was needed, just a bit of heat on the windshield and it stayed clear.

A/C is rarely needed. Usually a little heat and fresh air on the windshield is enough. If I had a car full of people and it was warm and raining out, then A/C would be appropriate - but not with fresh (100% humid) air coming in. If I want to dry out the interior I put it on A/C with recirculation (can't do that with the stock defrost setup).

As ZW says, all it takes is a button push to go back to the original defrost settings.
and this ^^^

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Any way of doing this to an '03?
Probably, I did a similar modification to my '03 Madza Protege. The Protege was more complicated as I actually had to de-solder the switch that is pressed by the actuator. Somehow the car detects the position of the vent knob, you just disable that function.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
771 Posts
Gotta do mine again since dealer replaced the knobs and cable assembly...almost asked them to do it while they had it apart, but thought better of it.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Premium AT
808 Posts
So, there was one other member that did this with a 2011....but I am confused as to how that person did this mod.

I just disassembled everything a few mins ago...and the actual HVAC control internals in my 2011 are different. There is no white piece on the back of the HVAC function selection knob[far left knob] that you take off and flip over. The green switch that activates the AC is there and is now actuated by the knob itself....it is all one piece. So, eliminating the AC function when you turn the knob to defrost can only be done by cutting or breaking off a tab on the back of that switch.

This change may be better as you can know just pull that knob off and cut off that tab. It is a permanent change, though, until you buy a brand new switch. I do not know if you have to pull off the entire silver trim piece to get the knob to pull off or not...which would make it really easy :)

You could have two knobs in the car...one modified and one unmodified for whatever catches your fancy.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Damn....

Well, thanks!

Although....I could stop by the dealership and look at a used 2011 Foz....and double check...he he he

·
Registered
808 Posts
Bada-bing bada boom!! You can just pull out the knobs on the 2011+ SH!!

You have to pull hard and wiggle a bit, but they come right out!

In the pic below, the tab in the circle needs to be cut off. The red arrow points to the top of the knob [where the selection indicator light is].

Really, could not be easier!

·
Registered
808 Posts
So....I did the mod...no dice. Sorry, my fault entirely. I need to look more into this as if you pull the knob off, and manually turn the post the knob controls, the A/C comes on at the defrost settings. So, there is something else deeper in the unit that is actuating the green switch for the A/C on with defrost.

I will have to look more in there and see...:shrug:

21 - 40 of 63 Posts