Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2009 Subaru Forester that's fairly new to me and I am new to this forum. I am looking for some assistance on identifying a leak. I noticed some spots on my driveway recently and was able to determine it looks like i have leak from a hose joint from where it goes from metal to rubber. The location is just under the Coolant reservoir. The hose then continues up beside the reservoir and back under the battery.

I was wondering if someone could let me know what this hose is for?

I appreciate any possible assistance.
IMG_1041.jpg
InkedIMG_1042_LI.jpg
IMG_1043.jpg
IMG_1044.jpg
IMG_1059.jpg

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Do you have a power steering reservoir anywhere close? Try to trace it to those hoses, if possible.
That looks oily,,, not like coolant. Have you got around to changing all your fluids on your new "money pit"(all used cars)?

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,964 Posts
Those look like transmission cooler lines. The OP does not state if this is for an MT or AT.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a power steering reservoir anywhere close? Try to trace it to those hoses, if possible.
That looks oily,,, not like coolant. Have you got around to changing all your fluids on your new "money pit"(all used cars)?
Yes the leaked "stuff" does seem oily.

The power steering reservoir is on the other side of the engine and the levels look fine.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
The power steering reservoir is on the other side of the engine and the levels look fine.
If you can't trace those leaky lines back to the PS reservoir, then its trans cooler lines, as suggested already by bman400.

Find out where they go.

Do they go into the radiator(where the AT cooler is)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This model is the 170-hp, 2.5-liter H-4 automatic engine.
So some further research and you are correct they are transmission cooler lines. Are these easy to replace? Anyone have a link to a resource for replacement?

Cheers,

Rob

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
It can be in the Rust belt.

I don't know if there is a small filter where the lines go in/ come out of the radiator...Might as well do a trans drain and fill at the same time .NO FLUSHING...

I cannot say how involved this job is not knowing your skill levels or levels of possible degradation of the components involved.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,964 Posts
It can be in the Rust belt.

I don't know if there is a small filter where the lines go in/ come out of the radiator...Might as well do a trans drain and fill at the same time .NO FLUSHING...

I cannot say how involved this job is not knowing your skill levels or levels of possible degradation of the components involved.
There is no "Small Filter" where those lines go in/out of the radiator. Just make sure to replace the hoses with ones that are meant to handle transmission oil.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
983 Posts
based on the corrosion on the line next to it, I would suggest replacing both of them... It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the other one will start leaking as soon as you're disturbing it (while replacing the one that is leaking)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
based on the corrosion on the line next to it, I would suggest replacing both of them... It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the other one will start leaking as soon as you're disturbing it (while replacing the one that is leaking)
Ordered the full AT transmission Oil Pipe and will use new clamps. Will update after installation.

Thanks again everyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts