Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, all,

I bought an '09 Forester a year and a bit ago. I found out during my first snowy winter after moving from sunny California that the heating switch (to go from AC to heat and vice versa) doesn't work. The dealership here switched it manually but I want to fix it... The part is well over $300.

Does anyone know if I were to go to pick and pull and swap out the entire heater if that would include the switch? I found the technical diagram for the part (I'll post with the number as soon as I can find it again!) But I'm unfamiliar with the format and can't tell. I'm a scientist, but not an engineer or a mechanic!

I'm really hoping I can do this myself. I like the idea of doing my own handiwork.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
337 Posts
Is this the switch that changes the temperature?

Is it electronically controlled (probably a round dial), or a manual slider (i.e. operates a cable)?

Did the dealer say anything about an actuator, blend door, cable, or control unit?

Can you load a picture of your A/C controls? Makes it easier to identify what may be the part that needs replacing.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 5MT
736 Posts
Ebay is your friend, got my AC controls for less than $80, with the radio panel.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
635 Posts
Pick the entire heater???? Sounds like you just need the switch. Yes you can get one from another Forester of the same gen with the same heater set up. Some have manual controls, others might have a climate control system. For all we know you might just have a broken plastic bit that won't hold a wire, or there is an electronic part that is not working. Best would be to put up a picture of your set up. Might also be an idea for you to get a copy of the factory service manual to guide you on dismantling the necessary dash parts, and how your heating/cooling system works and is set up.
Good luck and good for you in wanting to fix it yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts