Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forrester auto
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '09 Forester ac compressor I guess seized and the belt disintegrated. I have it parked until I get it into my Subie dealer for a fix. What should I be aware of when the service dept says, well we found such n such, n you need such such adding up to more $$$$ I'm at the mercy of what they tell me, because hey, I'm not a mechanic. I KNOW that for sure it's the belt (gone) and sure the compressor / pump froze, ie: NO defrosting or ac. I need defrosters here in MT now. Give me heads up with any probables to be aware of?

·
Registered
2006 Forester X Prem 4EAT
591 Posts
Replacement a/c compressors normally require the expansion valve, thin tubed condensers (like on these cars), receiver/drier to be replaced and for the lines to flushed as well, for the warranty to be valid on the compressor. There is a possibility that the compressor also disintegrated internally, depending on how it failed, contaminating the rest of the a/c system, which is why those other items are requested.

·
Registered
2009 Forrester auto
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, being an older woman, I am beholding to the Subie dealership for the work..unfortunetly. Here's crossing my fingers. But what do I know?

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
740 Posts
You should be able to drive it without issue if it's just your AC compressor that seized. I'm assuming here that the belt is no longer present. Obviously, you won't have AC...

You can expect them to charge you for a new compressor ($600), labor to replace it (I'm guessing it should take less than an hour, $100) and a purge and recharge (couple of hundred)
So, I would expect it to be around $1000.

(as Performance Suby mentioned, a flush may also be required. No idea what they would charge for that)

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Along with @GuusV 'a comment, they may recommend replacing the AC dryer since they are there anyway.
On a 10 year old AC, it can make a huge difference in performace so that could be worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts