Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
09 forester
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is anyone running these tires on their Subaru? My 09 is due, and these have one of the top ratings on Consumer Reports, and price is reasonable, about $93 from TireRack. One of my top criteria is low road noise. Also, the car is an 09 with 180,000 miles, I don't think I'll put another 60K on it.

·
Registered
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2007 FXT 5MT
1,442 Posts
So long as you don't put a lot of miles on them they'll be fine. I had mine for around 40k miles on a GMC Terrain. They handled reasonably, good dry and wet traction and snow traction was adequate. They were quiet and generally great tires....new.

After about 20k miles the traction in every scenario got significantly worse. Tread life was good so it seemed to me the compound further down was a stiffer rubber or it just got harder with age. Either way, I was very displeased with them for the second 20k miles I had them.

If you have a discount tire near you I've found their Yokohama YK740 tires to be excellent quiet commuter tires. That's a discount exclusive but Yoko came out with an Avid Ascend GT which is nearly the same specs/pattern and I suspect their non exclusive version of the same tire. Rated extremely well.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
144 Posts
We only have 15K miles on our '19 Forester, but we have had RT43 on several cars - '99 Ford Contour, '99 Honda Accord, '05 Chevy Venture, and '13 Kia Soul. Love'd them! I thought they were very quiet and smooth riding. They also did very well (for an all-season tire) on light to moderate snow. When the time comes to buy tires for the Forester, I will probably go with the RT43 again.

My son is an aerospace engineer, and after much research, he just replaced the OEM tires on his '16 Honda Civic with the RT43.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
18 Posts
We had a pair on our 2014 Forester and I just had them replaced a couple of months ago. They were good overall but not great in the snow for me. We got about 50k from them. One side was wearing quicker than the other, but probably because one of wheels was slightly out of round. Like you said great reviews at a fair price.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,083 Posts
I put a set on my wife's 2015 last fall (H - speed rated). I don't drive the Forester that much, but they don't seem any louder than the stock Geolanders they replaced. The ride certainly seems smoother, but I'm not sure how they would compare to brand new Geolanders. My wife really likes them.

I have a few RT43 threads booked that I'll add below in case you're interested.

Mike

('14-'18) - 2015 - General Altimax RT43 - Just replaced the Geolanders

('14-'18) - General Altimax RT43 Tires - Comments

('14-'18) - General Altimax vs Snow Tire - Plowed Streets

·
Supporting Vendor
2008 All
908 Posts
Is anyone running these tires on their Subaru? My 09 is due, and these have one of the top ratings on Consumer Reports, and price is reasonable, about $93 from TireRack. One of my top criteria is low road noise. Also, the car is an 09 with 180,000 miles, I don't think I'll put another 60K on it.
Good afternoon joe_pinrhill,

I hope your Friday is going well,

The General Altimax RT43 has several very attractive features, low road noise is certainly known to be one of them along with being reasonably priced.

Thank you Scooby24 for the shout out! Yes the Yokohama YK740 GTX would also be another great option that would be a quiet tire.

Tires are always a product of compromise. So depending on your use of the vehicle and driving conditions the RT43 may be a great fit. PM coming your way

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5 X 4EAT
18 Posts
I got 80k trouble free miles from my first set of 700AA H rated 215/65/16 with tread to spare, and have 12K so far on my second set

·
Registered
09 forester
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put the Altimax on last week, with new Schrader sensors, on Alloy wheels I have from an snow tire package. My daughter says it rides soo much nicer. I purchased at BJs, they have a promotion for an additional 10% credit, so the price was the same as TireRack.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts