Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2009 FXT stock turbo replacement advise..

6K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  GuusV 
#1 ·
Hi there,I bought a 2009 FXT that someone had put a bigger turbo in without tuning it. Therefore I continue to over boost when ever I step on it. Everything I have read and the shops I have talked to say that I either have to buy an access port and tune the subie or put a stock turbo in. I decided to go with replacing the current turbo with a stock one. My problem is when I put the stock part number in (14411AA7109L) I get a wide range of prices, $300-$1,300...
My questions are:
Are all turbos made equal? or do you get what you pay for?
Is the process or replacing a turbo on a 2009 FXT straightforward?
Is there another information or concerns someone should have before going through with this?

Thank you for your time!

#2 ·
Hi,

I am currently swapping an engine in my '09 Forester XT and going with a modified VF-34 Turbocharger. However, I have specific build goals. If your case is replacing the turbocharger with an OEM unit is not that bad given no modifications have been made to the components that connect to the current turbo you are running. Posting some pictures can provide more detailed info. You have to disconnect it from the up pipe, down pipe, coolant and oil system as well as the intercooler and boost control solenoid. I would advise not to go with a brand new '09 FXT specific turbocharger MHI TD04 unit that costs $300 as that would be a knock off turbo that would start making noises and fail prematurely (I know that based on experience). OEM replacement from Subaru is about $1250. You can search for some good used OEM units as well with lower miles on them as another option. Sending your turbocharger to be rebuild is also a viable solution and I can recommend a very good reputable service shop. They built my upgraded VF-34.

I have an OEM unit listed in Classifieds section that was installed on the car for ~300 miles and removed for an upgrade. Let me know if you might be interested in purchasing it. I have attached some pictures of it.

Hope that info helps!

'09 FXT w/complete EJ257

#3 ·
One man's 2¢...

I honestly think you are better off picking up an Accessport and hiring a tuner. The up front cost is going to be about the same, plus less labor. You can always have the engine de-tuned, if you will, to be more like stock. You also have the option to go faster. That said, if you are going to replace the turbo, it is a pretty straightforward task. I would also recommend that you look for an actual OEM TD04 that is either new, or rebuilt by someone reputable. If you are considering an aftermarket unit, again, buy from a reputable manufacturer. All turbos ARE NOT created equal.

The stock one @Dimi EJ20X has for sale above looks good.

#4 ·
DO NOT buy one of those $300 turbos off of ebay!

Not only will they not last long, when they fail, they will deposit metal filings into your engine that could ruin your engine.

I bought a used 2009FXT last year that had a failed turbo. I ended up buying a Merlet cartridge because there was no damage to the housing itself. Of course, that doesn't help you...

I would look for a genuine used one. Craigslist, ebay, whatever online market...

Seems like Dimi's is a good option!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.