Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Crosstrek Ltd
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, I have noticed a creaking coming from my rear end of my 2009 Forester XT. I have also noticed that at times there is body roll side by side that makes twisty roads a bit unpredictable and at times down right spooky. Now, is it possible that the rear suspension is borked? It's also the first time I am driving this truck in months without moving 100-200 lbs of stuff in the trunk, and I also recently attended a Mercedes AMG track event. So, maybe my butt dyno is broken.

Does it sway a lot and creak when there is no cargo and/or no extra weight in the vehicle?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
Do you have any suspension mods?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have any suspension mods?
Suspension is completely stock. I am wondering if maybe the tire pressures were lowered a little bit at a recent service, but within range not to trigger the TPMS light to go on. Maybe I will check the pressures and pump them up 1-3 lbs each.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
If your car is still stock and the rear feels loose it could be tires (check air pressure and wear) or your struts are going/have gone, or it's just normal. I wasn't happy with how the rear felt for a while until I got it somewhat sorted out. Check to make sure nothing is loose or has shifted back there, like the sway bar.

Stan

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will check the tire pressures this evening, and after this weekend will see if it was that. If it doesn't improve, I will drop it off at Subaru and tell them the suspension feels mushy and unpredictable. It's got 21,000 miles on it, and it's starting to feel different than it did for the past two years.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sometimes it feels like it's oscillating side to side on relatively straight roads.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
If you think it's starting to feel different, it could be the struts. If tires are original, could be that too.

Stan

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just recently, I had my rear tires pumped up 2psi higher than the fronts (F:36, R:38). I pumped them up for towing a heavy trailer on a long trip, but forgot to lower them when done.
At highway speed (for clarification, this is without the trailer), the car handled just a bit poorly and the car bucked just a little forward and back. It was like the suspension had gone super-soft and under-damped.
I reduced the rear tires to where I normally have them (F:36, R:34), and the problem completely went away.

Instead of just checking the pressures in each tire, compare the difference in pressures between tires. Make sure that they're the same left vs right, and you might try setting them so that the difference between front and rear is the same as what's listed on the door. (Mine suggests F:32, R:30).

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
is the "creaking" sound coming from the the rear passenger side, almost sounds like its coming from the cargo area right behind the pass side seat or even the seat itself ? if so I have the same issue that I didn't hear until about 19,000 miles. I recently added a sway bar in back and had a good look underneath and saw nothing.. and I can't seem to replicate the sound easily....I did however move a huge amount of mulch in bags in the back prior to noticing this noise..so it was loaded pretty heavy.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
Hi Guys
Try putting grease on the rear tailgate latch. Should clear up the creaking.
Cheers
Never thought of that, you mean in the lock/latch mechanism ? is there a grease point ? also what kind of grease is good for door locks etc..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts