Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
Looks good! It'll be interesting to see what it takes to scuff up the paint...should be a good indicator of the utility of the skid plate.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
I wonder if/how the paint affects heat transfer, though... Does it absorb the heat given off by the engine/tranny, or does it reflect heat back?

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The request to Brennan was done 2 minutes ago.

I really like the look.

As for scratches, I will drive on to my ramps and spray paint over them or during my oil changes. I am intrigued to see have abuse it actually takes. Knowing how I drive any scratches will be caused by bushes and gravel. I have always said when I off road it is very slow and safe. Me likey my FXT too much to damage it.

·
Fast & Dirty
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How is that attached? I only see one bolt.

edit: oh wait, are there more upfront?
:biggrin:

I painted the bolts after I attached it.

I wonder if/how the paint affects heat transfer, though... Does it absorb the heat given off by the engine/tranny, or does it reflect heat back?
I doubt a very thin layer of paint will effect anything but time will tell.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Very nice! You will keep us up to date on the battle scars right?

I think I will leave mine au naturale.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
2,076 Posts
I did the same thing a little while ago, but used Plasti-Dip instead of paint. Mainly because I had a can in the garage but also because it has held up really well on my grill (seems pretty resistant to chips). I did it because I didn't like the looks of the front of the skid plate (too shiny for my taste). Looks much better now IMO.

·
Fast & Dirty
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have my first battle scar while off roading last night. I was going quite fast and hit a rock at the end of a dip in the road. It is nothing but a scratch. I will take a pic tonight. Before and after I repair it.

All I have to do is lightly sand and shoot it with paint.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Man, I so want one of these. Gotta make time first, then make my own. Funny, IMO your DIY skid plate is the best front plate out there for MY2009, 2010s. Knowledge is power.

·
Fast & Dirty
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The principle is the same. Bolt location would differ long with bend angles and whether you cut your plate to cover everything (mine) or just the stuff in the middle (oil pan).

If you look under your FXT you will see the 3 or 4 bolt mounting points. The rear 1 or 2 will be on the main structural piece directly between the front wheels.

I will be able to look at a friends 07 FXT in late may. I can tell you exactly what is needed.

Oh, I fixed the scratch (no pics). I used 220 sand paper. wiped it clean with water. 2 squirts from the spray can and done. During my warm weather oil changes I will do a complete repaint.

I really like the look. This shiny piece of metal no longer distracts you from the overall beauty that is my 09 FXT. The matte black matches my grille perfectly (came from the same can) :)

·
Registered
2009 X
89 Posts
on my old 4runner I sprayed my skid plate with some rattle can duplicolor truck bed liner. It seemed to hold up better than paint.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD
605 Posts
Did you paint your grill? :confused:

I've been looking at the sports grill but painting the original may be a little more unique. :cool:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts