RS&SP Coilovers - thanks to Rallispec!

Whiteline front and rear sway bars and endlinks

Cobb catted Downpipe
Perrin TMIC
Perrin CAI
Cobb AP with Rocket Rallt Dyno tune

Winter wheels - 18x8 Rota Formula Mesh with 255/45's
Summer wheels - 19x8.5 ET35 with 255/40 P-Zero Nero

Sorry for the link but still too retarded to post pics.

DSC00491 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

·
Registered
09 FXT
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Fella's. I had kinda debated for quite a while between some wide 18's and going to 19's. In the past I was far more a fan of function over style (although likes the style in there) and would have gone for the lightest 17 or 18" wheel I could find but now that I am getting older and have moved into an automatic for the first time in my life I figured style could step up a little. Once the 19's were on I knew I made the right choice, the tire size is great and although harsher than the 18's it is VERY liveable. The coils offer a great ride but are VERY comfortable as the spring rates are fairly low. Very happy with them.

My goal was to build a good all around FXT. I didn't want to lose fuel economy (if I drove mellow), I didn['t want to drop it to the point where speed bumps, plowing snow would be an issue, I didn't want it to draw attention due to a loud grumble every time I gassed it and I didn't want to break the bank.

The intake and IC were nice power additions (intake more of a sound addition as there wasn't much power increase) but could have been done without. With just the DP and tune power was where I needed it. I live in the city and like to be able to get a nice launch from traffic lights when needed. Fuel economy is not great around town as I do tend to punch it off the line but it has remained the same with highway and mellow driving. Although more power would be great, the next step would be catless/catback and injectors which would negate two of my goals.

Coilovers were chosen in place of springs as the only thing available at the time were SWIFT springs which did not offer enough lowering for my tastes. The other option was suspension made for the Impreza which, when measured, would have lowered too much and not had the correct spring/shock rates for the weight/balance of the Forester.
I had e-mailed Rallispec for suggestions and they had said that RS&SP were developing a coilover for the FXT. I got the first set and after the first install we found a couple small issues which were promptly sorted and now alls good. Not sure what the regular retail cost will be of these units so I won't comment.

I've still got a little height to play with if I want it lower but I am quite happy with the current set up.

Future plans, for the first time with a car I've owned, I don't have any. I am truly happy with the way the car is and I have to say (even with the stock unit) it was the best purchase I ever made. It is the perfect compromise car for me where I get the best of all worlds.

I had looked at a Merc GLK, Infiniti EX and Acura RDX turbo. All had options I didn't want need or had to pay for and ended up being almost $10K more than the FXT.

Previous cars included (from newest to oldest):
2008 Volvo C30 T5 (FWD, heavy, looked good but BORING to drive and **** in snow).
2004 Subaru STi (325 WHP, lost my license....no wagon)
2001 Legacy Wagon (no power)
1998 Imp RS (no power but fun and coo)
1996 Civic Si (good uni car, easy to maintain,zippy)
1988 E30 M3 (one of my favorite cars in the world, ever...why did I sell)
1992 Jeep Wrangler (great first car)

Also currently have a Miata '92 project for my track car.

Thanks for peeking guys...

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
wow looks really nice, I'm really trying to convince myself to go with a set of 19's as soon as the funds allow, are the 19's you have also Rota formulas? I can't seem to find black Rota formulas in 19's

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
gorgeous, love the murdered out look! what are the specs(version, spring rates, etc) on your rs&sp's and how much did they set you back?

·
Registered
09 FXT
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow looks really nice, I'm really trying to convince myself to go with a set of 19's as soon as the funds allow, are the 19's you have also Rota formulas? I can't seem to find black Rota formulas in 19's
Thanks, the wheels are Axis Penta, 19x8.5 ET35....HEAVY.

Axis Super Penta Wheels - Wheel Size & Price Details - 1010tires.com

gorgeous, love the murdered out look! what are the specs(version, spring rates, etc) on your rs&sp's and how much did they set you back?
I'll get you to talk to Rallispec as my set was a "development" set. Not sure what price/spring rates they will end up with.

·
Registered
09 FXT
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The wheels make the look! Awesome Foz!
I've actually been pondering changing the wheels. I really like the lock but they are bloody heavy. I really noticed this spring when I took my winters off (about 5lbs per corner lighter) and put these on. Acceleration was slower, braking takes longer and suspension movement feels more labored. I'd really like to try and find a sub 20lb 19 inch wheel. If not I will probably eventually change to my 18" winters for summer and get some 17's for winter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts