Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Forester X (2.4 auto)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!! 2009 Forester X.
So, I’ve got the dreaded gas smell in the cabin, shuddering, struggling at idle and about 45mph. Fuel Pressure Regulator right? WHERE THE HECK IS IT??? All signs and symptoms point to this as the fix, but I can’t locate it physically, I can’t find it on any of the www.Subaruparts.com sites. I’ve ordered the fuel damper (very obvious on the fuel rail) hoping that will solve the problem, but I really don’t think it will. Location of the FPR and guidance will be very appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,961 Posts
My 2001 Forester in 2008 with 120,000 miles developed strong gasoline smell, more prominent in the winter. The rubber fuel hoses were replaced and the smell never came back. So yours may just need the fuel lines replaced as well. There was never actually fuel leaking in the engine bay, just the smell.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Forester X (2.4 auto)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@bman400 Any idea where my FPR may be? Or if there even is one in a 2009 non- turbo? My other symptoms are what led me to believe it’s in the fuel regulation end of things.

·
Registered
2009 Forester M5 2.5 SOHC
123 Posts
Fuel pressure regulation in 2009’s is part of the fuel pump control module. The FPCM is in the tank.
A liquid fuel-contaminated EVAP system will also cause a smelly cabin. This is one reason you are not supposed to “top up” the tank when refueling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts